• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil presure drop under accelleration

97xjstock

NAXJA Forum User
so my 97 xj,stock 4.0,,,at idle the oil pressure is great,,right at 13-18,,,around 2300 rpms im at 43,,normal driving its fine,,,if i stomp on the gas moderately to heavy,,pressure drops to 18ish then slowly mves upward until i back of then it acts normal,,,,so,,whatcha think

The pump maybe cavitating for a few seconds then slowly getting the flow up to speed. How old is the oil? Time for a flush and fill?

That is a bit strange. You need to find out if it is real or not. It might not be. One thing you could do would be to swap in a new oil pressure sending unit (aka: switch) They are a very common failure on the XJ and are cheap to replace. For best accuracy, use an OEM replacement from Jeep. Could also temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge where the sending unit installs for confirmation.

remove the gauge cluster, figure out which wire goes to the oil gauge, and check continuity between that wire and the connector at the oil pressure sending unit.

my truck did this, the wire was bad. I just replaced it.

Is the oil level in the engine up to the mark on your dipstick? Low oil level will cause oil starvation upon acceleration or upon uphill travel if the oil level is too low. Oil pickup tube and screen are located in the front of the deeper part of the oil pan.

OP sender.....

I have a similar issue with OP sender. Mine will either read right on, high or low, then today it straight over to max line and hasn't moved...

I did put a mechanical gauge on it. 30 PSI @2000, 50PSI @4000, 20PSI @idle.....

Oh well, just empty the bank account again....

Back