• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear diff problem

svetlomir

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody.
I have a 1991 Laredo with I6 4.0 HO engine and a Dana 35 rear diff.
Not long ago i had to replace one of the bearings on the rear axel.
Since then the diff is making bad sounds like knoking and the whole rear bounce a litle..
My question is shuld i buy a new one or fix the one that i have.I have no idea how much a new one cost (i mean the whole axel with the diff and everything exept the wheels)

I would swap in one of the following axles:

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some (not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Provided you can find one that is geared the same as your front axle, both would bolt right in....

Go to the JY and find ya a new one for 100 or so bucks. Look for a Chrysler 8.25 or a Dana 44 if you don't know what they look like. Search is your best friends on Diffs.

Diffs New really expensive.

Rebuilding them. Really expensive. I found a D44 at a junk yard a week ago for a buddy and it was 175.

i will second the JY vote. why is everyone so against going to the JY? cheap parts man! get a 8.25 w/3.55 gears. dime a dozen.

Back