• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ NP242 Chain replacement

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to crack open my NP242J transfer case this weekend for the first time.

I need to do this so I can visually inspect it to see if I can see a reason why it is making so much noise when I put it into Full Time. It sounds like the chain slipping. I purchased a replacement chain in hopes that it will be that simple.

I've read things here, and found a few articles about how to open up the tcase, but I thought I'd check with the experts.

Is there anything I should keep in mind, or watch out for? It looks like the most difficult part will be to remove that dust cover. :(

jeep_tcase1.jpg

Mine is apart on the bench as we speak. I've had it apart and back together several times to make it ingrained in my mind. I'm looking to swap it into my dd for the 231 thats in there now but need to swap the input shaft since the donor is 87 and dd is 93. Only real problem I had was trying to remove the shift post in order to get to the input shaft. I dont think theres an easy way to do that and I was and still am nervous about prying to get it out but thats the only problem I had. Take your time and give it a good bath. Scrub it down and get it spotless. Good luck.

muckleroy said:
I'm going to crack open my NP242J transfer case this weekend for the first time.

I need to do this so I can visually inspect it to see if I can see a reason why it is making so much noise when I put it into Full Time. It sounds like the chain slipping. I purchased a replacement chain in hopes that it will be that simple.

I've read things here, and found a few articles about how to open up the tcase, but I thought I'd check with the experts.

Is there anything I should keep in mind, or watch out for? It looks like the most difficult part will be to remove that dust cover. :(

jeep_tcase1.jpg
When does it make the chain slip sound? When you are spinning or all the time while driving normally when in full time?

I just did mine, it was pretty easy. About 2 hours start to finish. My chain was so loose that I took it off with out having to remove the output gear. But once it was done, it was great. T case works fine.

snow580 said:
When does it make the chain slip sound? When you are spinning or all the time while driving normally when in full time?

It only made the slipping sound when I put it into 4x4 Full Time. It was horrible noise and un-drivable! Not because of the noise but because of the bucking action you would get as the front wheels engaged and disengaged. It didn't make any, or much, noise until I gave it gas. Then the noise would start, and the jerking of the front wheels. Foot off the gas, sound would stop.

I read in the owners manual that you can drive in full time all the time and the gas mileage was the same. Since I was having to instruct my wife in how to put it into full time 4x4 when it started raining, I thought it was just as easy to leave it in full time 4x4. That was about 8 years ago. lol.

Occasionally I would switch it back to 2 wheel drive just so nothing got locked into one place.

I got the lift and 32" tires, went off road once. I was babying it since I would get a tapping noise after driving in full time for about 10 to 15 minutes. My assumption was it was a u-joint. Either drive shaft or axle.

I replaced the drive shaft ujoints, still had the tapping noise. I purchase 297s(?) for the Dana 30 and wheel bearing assyms as my next attempt. About a week before I was going to swap that stuff on the XJ I tried the full time just for grins.

OMG what a noise. It sounded exactly like a big ass chain slipping wildly. The front wheels jerked as something metallic engaged and disengaged.

I asked a bunch of questions here, did some reading on the Internet. Saw the video of the 1998 XJ with the saggy chain on you tube. So a couple of weeks ago I order a chain and a few other odds and ends. About $150, with the chain being the most expensive thing.

Yesterday I printed off the "How to break down your NP242" from the Internet and went into the garage.

After getting those damned locking rings off I was finally able to get my answer. The chain was so loose I was able to remove it without taking off the gears! Sound familiar? Removing the gear and replacing the chain was very easy, in fact the whole thing was pretty easy with the exception of taking off the locking washers.

It's all back together, as of last night, and tested. I'm a little concerned if I was able to get the fluid pickup tube connected back to the pump. I think it is ok, I mean they were attached I'm just not sure if the little "O" ring was fully inserted.

I found, previously, that the tcase was very low on fluid. I'm not sure why it was low. Maybe it leaked out slowly over years of use, especially since I was in 4x4 all the time.

I had a rattling noise that came and went with acceleration. I thought it might be a loose front end part. Now I know what it was, it was the loose chain rattling in the tcase.

I think I was extremely luckily to have run the tcase with low fluid and the only thing I had to replace (so far) is the chain.

Everything is very quiet and feels strong. No popping, and 4x4 again! Yay!

I do plan on replacing the two gears that the chain rides on, but I think that will be a part of a full tcase overhaul.

It was raining here today, and it was a great feeling to be back in 4x4 again.

Now I'm trying to think where I can go find some MUD! I really having played since I did the lift and put the big tires on.

jeep_lift19.jpg

Can anyone see the problem here?

jeep_tcase2.jpg

Well the rear seal on the NP242 started leaking yesterday. Now I'm trying to find a seal. I guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow, as Oreily's, AutoZone, and Advanced auto doesn't carry it.

Crap!

Last edited:
snow580 said:
Thats great you got it figured out!

Now go hit that mud:party:

Nice lookin XJ by the way!

Yes! and Thanks.

Ok the Dodge place couldn't find one, but luckily there was a Chrysler jeep dealership 4 miles down the road. They had one! $34 later and I'm on my way home.

Installed and everything buttoned up, in fact I just finished washing the XJ so I could detect the oil on the back hatch easier.

I was surprised to find that very little fluid had leaked out. Maybe 1/4 cup? I quickly topped off the fluid level in the tcase with just a few pumps.

Hopefully the old seal was just brittle from years of heating and cooling. Stupid me should have changed it when I replaced the drive change, but I wasn't thinking.

muckleroy said:
Can anyone see the problem here?

jeep_tcase2.jpg

Well the rear seal on the NP242 started leaking yesterday. Now I'm trying to find a seal. I guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow, as Oreily's, AutoZone, and Advanced auto doesn't carry it.

Crap!

I was wondering why you would use the old seal. I made the big mistake of not replacing the transmission output seal (where it connects to the TC) because I had not realized that I will have access to it (duh!). I now regret it because I can detect a slight leak, nothing to be concerned with now but, it can only get worse.
Fine work otherwise, congrats.

Back