• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what master cyl for 1" bore?

Erik Litchy

NAXJA Forum User
hi currently i have a 1 1/16 bore master from some 79 ford truck and its ok but i think a 1" would be better suited for my needs. the stock one didnt push enough fluid and bottomed out easily for me. right now its allright but id like to try a happy medium.

i would like to just bolt this up no booster swap. making new lines is not much of a problem. im running rear disk brakes and stockish front with stainless flex lines.

89 cherokee and such

what do i ask for to get a 77-'82 Corvette master 1" bore? theres no way these should cost $90 as from Hydratech.

i like this one

* GM C3 Corvette Style Master Cylinder
* 1.00” Bore Disc / Disc Spec
* 1/2-20 Front Port – 9/16-18 Rear Port
* 65 / 35 Nominal Front to Rear Output Bias
* May also successfully be used with front disc / rear drum brakes in alternate applications
* 3.400 GM Spec Stud Spacing with 3/8” Bolt Holes
* Features a 1.250” deep style MC pushrod hole for use with manual or power brake
* Front Port = Front Brakes / Rear Port = Rear Brakes
* Conventional flare style ports – brake line tube nuts included with MC

4xBob said:
The hydroboost sellers also sell master cylinders with various bore sizes, and they tell you the mounting bolt width and rod depth.........point being, you can get something that will drop in. Check sites for Hydratech at http://www.hydratechbraking.com/, Vanco at http://www.vancopbs.com/ or google for other hydroboost suppliers.

looks like these are gm based and not compatible with the bendix mounting. :dunce: i wonder why gm hydroboost is more popular than the ford. :confused: anyway the bolt pattern isnt the same (and why would a corvette use a master that weighs 10 lbs what were they thinking?). allright looks like i have 2 options. bore and ream the stock one to use the corvettes innards, or find one that comes in bendix pattern thats an inch bore. im actually to the point that reaming the stock one looks easier.

Erik Litchy said:
hi currently i have a 1 1/16 bore master from some 79 ford truck and its ok but i think a 1" would be better suited for my needs. the stock one didnt push enough fluid and bottomed out easily for me.
Well that doesnt make any sense.Larger bores deliver more fluid,smaller bores deliver more pressure.Make up your mind!

RCP Phx said:
Well that doesnt make any sense.Larger bores deliver more fluid,smaller bores deliver more pressure.Make up your mind!

what did i say wrong? the stock small one bottomed out without building enough pressure and the 1 1/16 one im using now is a bit on the stiff side
(not overly so).

I think I got it now,I just checked what year you have!Later XJ's are 1" bore,I was having trouble trying to figure out why you were going back to stock if you had already tried it!You also should try the "disc" proportioning valve!

RCP Phx said:
I think I got it now,I just checked what year you have!Later XJ's are 1" bore,I was having trouble trying to figure out why you were going back to stock if you had already tried it!You also should try the "disc" proportioning valve!

oh i see why it would be confusing now. the proportioning valve only comes into play in heavy braking. my feet hurt from just normal driving, let alone hard braking.

Try the later ZJ masters they are a bolt in(except for lines) and don't require any fabbing. Search is your friend.

Stock XJ is already1" so finding another wont help you. Which booster are you running with the 1 1/16" you have now? If you have the right amount of pedal travel with that size you will have to look at using a double diaphragm booster from a 95+ or WJ if you have not already. Otherwise look at a hydro boost or a bigger booster from something else. What rear caliper did you fit them as must have been too big in the piston area to take up all your travel. Normally have the right sized rear pistons means there is no need to change master cylinder size. You running full size Chev calipers or something?

Gojeep said:
Stock XJ is already1" so finding another wont help you. Which booster are you running with the 1 1/16" you have now? If you have the right amount of pedal travel with that size you will have to look at using a double diaphragm booster from a 95+ or WJ if you have not already. Otherwise look at a hydro boost or a bigger booster from something else. What rear caliper did you fit them as must have been too big in the piston area to take up all your travel. Normally have the right sized rear pistons means there is no need to change master cylinder size. You running full size Chev calipers or something?

my stock one is 15/16" i guess i need to just swap the master only from a later year.

Erik Litchy said:
my stock one is 15/16" i guess i need to just swap the master only from a later year.

Interesting. We dont have the older ones than 94 in Oz so what year is yours?

Gojeep said:
Interesting. We dont have the older ones than 94 in Oz so what year is yours?
89. heres a pic of the stock one by the vette one. you can see why i got the idea it would fit :twak:

IMG_1124.JPG

My advice would be to fit either a 95+ XJ or WJ master and double diaphram booster. Plenty of write up here on how to do it and there is one on www.madxj.com too. The booster is very important on getting to brakes you are after.

I would definately do the dd booster before trying a new mc.

Back