• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mr. gasket thermostat for 96+ XJs?

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
1. I have a 1996 XJ.
2. The coolant looks like "brown goo" as my girlfriend says. I think it looks like the contents of a porta potty, but not as stinky.
3. I'm going to do a coolant flush and fill.
4. While I'm at it, the tstat housing is leaking so I figure I'll get a Hesco high flow unit for it and a mr.gasket thermostat (available from Hesco) for it as well.

So my question is, I was price comparing at the local parts store, and they say that the tstat is different from 1995 and earlier, and 1996 and later has no part number. Will the Mr.Gasket part fit? http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=43014&catId=

thanks,
Matt

honestly on our 90 we had to slow down the coolant flow to stop it from running hot all the time after I did the high flow t-stat. a factory one seems to work the best for it but yes the part should be similar enough to be used if not exactly the same

As stated high flow does not always mean cooler. I'd just go with a good quality thermo. OEM temp is 195* but the choice is yours.
I know ppl that have installed high flow water pumps only to have the engine run warmer due the high flow. H2O ran thru the fan and rad. so fast it did not have time to cool down.
Give it a good flush, remember no tap H2O, distilled only.

dizzymac said:
remember no tap H2O, distilled only.

very true. my dad says tap is ok, 'since the impurities increase the boiling point'. My argument: the sediments and minerals cause corrosion and the coolant mix should be that the coolant does not boil until ~260*F @ cap pressure (usually 15 psi)

As per another thread about cooling lol;

I have the hesco water pump, high flow housing and the balanced 195* Tstat and run drastically cooler.

Back