• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grenaded dana 30

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

after i got back from wheelin i noticed that there was milkshake dripping from my front pinion seal (also the yoke slung it all over the exhaust down pipe and LCA).
also, my front tire (the pass. side is worse) will spin freely frontwards, but it will only spin so far backwards and then CHOMP it stops dead in its track, cant be moved. in fact, if i drive in reverse, once it gets to that point, the tire stops spinning and drags across the pavement.

what broke? i am getting gears on sept 19, will my gears last that long? can i pull the spiders and leave the side gears?

thanks

-tim

what you could do is drain the oil, remove the axleshafts and driveshaft and put a couple of rags in the tubes till you get your gears, that way nothing is turning, and it will save you some time if you are doing the swap (ie no driveshaft to remove) or time and money for a shop that has to do that, as they wont have a need to remove the driveshaft and shouldnt have to worry about the axleshafts as a good shop can setup the gears and be confident in the setup without the safts..

Starboard M said:
Did you try taking the cover off to see if anything is broken inside?

definitely doing that tomorrow, it was already dark when i found the problem, the first time it binded up when i was reversing i assumed it was a u joint in the front, as they are old.

-Tim

twisted_ed said:
what you could do is drain the oil, remove the axleshafts and driveshaft and put a couple of rags in the tubes till you get your gears, that way nothing is turning

Don't drive it without front axles!!! (at least outers) They set the preload on the hub bearings. Your wheel will fall off without them!

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Don't drive it without front axles!!! (at least outers) They set the preload on the hub bearings. Your wheel will fall off without them!

Not immeadately. I drove 20 miles without mine in one day before I knew that the outer stub axle held them together. That said, I wouldn't risk it again knowing what I know now.

TRAILREADYXJ said:

X2

DO NOT DRIVE the Jeep without the stub-shafts torqued down inside the unit bearings... otherwise the unit bearing WILL come apart and your wheel/outer hub/rotor etc can FALL OFF and it's never pretty.

my thoughts exactly

It would be better if you removed the driveshaft, and the inner axles. Seperate the inner axles from the outer stubs, plug the tubes and button it back together with the outer stubs back in place.

Back