• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

am i reading the check engine light correctly? (video)

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
http://media.putfile.com/96-xj-CEL

that is the video of my 96 4cyl, 5 speed w/ a/c check engine light. I am following the directions here: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

so, i am a little confused. is this a 25 code or is this the 55 all clear code.

the video is 45 seconds long, and postage stamp sized, but for those of you that aren't going to watch it here is a description. the light stays on steady, out for 1 sec, on, goes out for about 2 seconds, on, then off for 1 second, on then off for about 3 seconds, then on and off 5 times with one second in between, off for 2-3 seconds, then 5 more flashes with 2 second in betwen.

symtoms: haven't run it much with this battery in it, and i just bought it non running. it runs very rich and doesn't always idle. also doesn't seam like it is consistently hitting on all cylinders unless it is reved to about 3000 rpm, let off the gas it idles smoothly and then breaks up again.

your getting a code 12 and 55. which means that the battery was disconected. and 55 is the end of the error sequence. there are no more codes. well if its running extreamly rich it will have an incorrect air to fuel mix and not fire. check o2 sensors.

need more info, but sounds like TPS.

Your 96 will have an OBDII connector. Take it to a shop and get the codes pulled.

Saudade said:
Your 96 will have an OBDII connector. Take it to a shop and get the codes pulled.

i can't get it to a shop yet. i bought it non running, and i was planning to part it out. i have decided to keep it and i need it to pass emissions before i can get it registered. i need it to be registered before i can drive it to take it to the shop to see whats wrong with it before it can pass emissions to get it registered.... and the circle continues :bunny:

90xj06 said:
your getting a code 12 and 55. which means that the battery was disconected. and 55 is the end of the error sequence. there are no more codes. well if its running extreamly rich it will have an incorrect air to fuel mix and not fire. check o2 sensors.

thanks, i should have figured thats what it was. when i bought it the battery was completely dead, and i guess i haven't been able to run it long enough for it to figure out whats going on....

I bought a cheapo scanner that pulls codes and resets the MIL for less than $50. You have to look the codes up manually but it seems to work OK. Might be worth it to help pinpoint a problem, rather than spend a bunch of money r&r'ing a bunch or parts.

Have you been able to run it long enough to get to normal temp?

Saudade said:
I bought a cheapo scanner that pulls codes and resets the MIL for less than $50. You have to look the codes up manually but it seems to work OK. Might be worth it to help pinpoint a problem, rather than spend a bunch of money r&r'ing a bunch or parts.

Have you been able to run it long enough to get to normal temp?

will it read codes if the check engine light isn't lit up while running? i haven't been able to get it up to normal temp, thats my plan for tomorrow. need to fix a few coolant leaks for that to hapen.

The one I got will read pending codes as well. You can find them all over eBay but that would take a while before you receive it.

Back