• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions on roof mounted Bike Rack to carry two mountain bikes

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody, I am in the market for a rack that will safely transport two mountain bikes on the top of my cherokee. I have the stock crossrails that came on my 99 from the factory. I really don't even know what I need. Suggestions on brands and ingenious ways of mounting are apprectiated!
Thanks, Denton

Get the Thule set up. It works great. You will need a set of #300 gutter clamps a set of 50" bars and your choice of bike trays. When I had my rack I used the Thule v2 trays, they allowed me to mount my bike with the disks on it. You can also use the yakima set up but I have always used Thule so that my preferance.

some may say the 50" bars are to short but for the basket I have on my 89 right now they are not. I am using the #300 mount and the 50" bars and they are just right, i.e. they do not hang out alot.

I'd keep an eye on craigslist or ebay for raingutter mounts from Yakima or Thule. Not many cars have raingutters any more and you can get them cheap. The bars are cheap even if you have to buy new.

Bike mounting trays could be harder to find used.

Get some RockyMountain bike tights. They are 1/2 the price of yakoma or tule. All you have to do is drill 2 holes per mount and bolt them on.
They were a team sponcer and thats how I found them, and Ive ran them on all my Jeeps for the last like 6 years, and theyve held up to all my 40 +lb downhill bikes.

or go the cheap route buy the tule fork mounts and just drill a couple of holes in the cross bars. stretch the bars out to fit the base of the wheels and then use a short bungee or mini cargo strap to secure the rear tire to the rear cross bar. Works like a charm. Not the prettiest though. Run you about $40 and a couple of holes.

i've got a thule set up. works great and looks cool too. mine mount to the factory rails, not the gutters though. here's a couple pics. wasn't trying to take pics of the roof racks in these, but you'll get the idea. i like the fork mounts, but i don't downhill or have thru axle bikes... if you have thru axle forks then you'll probably want the big mouth's.

mud3.jpg

3quarter.jpg

sorry for the huge pics... they're 50" load bars, so you can see what that looks like.

if you don't want to drop the coin on thule, you could go with rockymounts... they're cheaper and will mount right to the factory crossbars, but they're not nearly as sturdy.

i've had a yakama rack on every truck/car/suv I've ever owned.
I have a 55 lb dh bike that has made its way out of every wrack except the "king cobra".. its worth the cash... much better then picking you bike off the hiway or replacing windows and side panels when the bike come loose and swings down from where it is locked at the wheels (as in the copper head, steel head models)... but if you don't have a 20mm axel on your bike, then you could save some cash and go with a lighter set-up.
cheers.

Back