• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start...

DUNESXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK I did do some searching before posting, and I'm still not quite getting this figured out. Good thing is that I have a theory to throw at ya'll.

Now when I turn the key everything comes on as it should. When I go to turn the vehicle on it does nothing and the lights slightly dim. There is no clicking, or attempt of the car to turn over. Just simply nothing.

Now I crawled under the heep a few minutes ago and noticed I had an oil leak (I'm not an idiot, I know that's not why it isn't starting) and the oil seems to have saturated the wiring going into the starter. Would the oil affect the grounding or even the power to the atarter?

doubt the oil would have caused a problem, ive seen some NASTY starters on forklifts.. but i guess its possible. the fact that the lights are dimming suggests a huge power draw, which would indicate a starter problem. take it off, take it to your local parts place, and have it tested. it sounds the like the solenoid on the starter is bad.

try the same thing with the selector in neutral. If it works then its your park/neutral safety switch.

Otherwise ohm out the battery cables. Check for a good ground. If all is good you should be able to 'hotwire' the solenoid by jumping power to the solenoid lead. If it doesn't turn over, then you have a starter problem.

Back