• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doors coming off

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
hey im trying to take off my doors i tried to take the bolts out but i cant get to a couple of them is there a trick? i heard that you can just take out a pin or something like. any help would be great. its an 89 2 door cherokee

grind off the bottom part of the mount on the door side, weld the pin in..and theyll come right out... If you search theres a few threads on it.. ;)

I had to put the box end of a 1/4" ratchet on the shaft of a T40 socket, and it barely fit in there. Took quite a while to get a couple of the bolts out 1/4 turn at a time.

xalexjx said:
grind off the bottom part of the mount on the door side, weld the pin in..and theyll come right out... If you search theres a few threads on it.. ;)

have any pictures?? or links i did search but for some reason i almost always have no luck.

Torx sucks.

I got mine out with a pair of visegrips on each bolt head.

Good luck.

Robert

I used a torch to smoke them out. took 2 minutes...then replaced with hex bolts to make sure I could do it again. Takes me 5-10 minutes to remove both front doors. It's best to have a buddy hold things while you do it.

Another way that's ALOT easier and has been mentioned widely is if you pull back the plastic wheel well liner (if it's still there) and look in towards the door there's holes right where the bolt heads are. Use a 12" extension and they come out quite easily while slowly opening the door to allow the bolts to come out more.

Shorten your torx bit so it will clears the hinges. If that dont work take a pair of boxed battery terminal plairs and grab the bolt head. You might have to take the interior panel on the door loose to spray PB Blaster on the bolts.Good Luck

Once you get the doors off, here are three links to how others have modded their hinges to make door removal a breeze.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

I love being doorless, or halfdoored, or tubedoored, and when it rains (or snows) fulldoored....

doors.jpg

85xj4dr said:
Wtf is the point of that?

:roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao:

I carry em like an umbrella: If I get caught in the rain I can throw em on to get me home. They're a LOT easier to throw on n off than the stock doors, and infinitely easier to carry in the back of the jeep.

Writeup

Robert

redneck1939 said:
thanks for the good info. does any company make tube doors for the two door xjs?

No, nobody I know about. There's just not enough of em to justify the investment.

Why do you want em?

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Does that put you somewhere in Kansas?

:dunno:

Robert

Yes, yes it does.... The western part of it to be more exact...

Cimarron KS. But no one knows where that is, so I just say Dodge City. Most people have at least heard of Dodge.....

Last edited:
That's valuable information, if you're looking for a loaner two-door.

I'd offer mine, but even if I wasn't 800 miles away, mine is so bent, bashed and buckled, my own doors barely go on...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
That's valuable information, if you're looking for a loaner two-door.

I'd offer mine, but even if I wasn't 800 miles away, mine is so bent, bashed and buckled, my own doors barely go on...

Robert

That's been the problem I've ran into with doors. What fit's one guys Jeep may not fit the next guys because the two rigs have been "tweaked" differently....

Or in my case, doors that fit last fall didn't want to fit again this summer because the Jeep was tweaked over the winter with a different set of doors on it.

What happened to mine is the 3x5 box that I replaced my rockers with got pushed up by slamming on to a ledge. And now the full doors and half doors I have the bottom of the drivers side doors hit the box before the hinges can engage. Opps.

So I either need to pull the box back down into place, or rebuild the rocker area of my Jeep...

2% chance of pulling the box back down, 98% chance that I boatside my XJ as I work on putting a cage in it after the Memorial Day run to Tuttle Creek.

Back