• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment post lift

ReftonsRed

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished a 4.5 in lift on my bro's 98 XJ and when "finished" the front axle is sitting off to the drivers side a slight anount (about 3/4"). From searching I think he'll need an ajustable trac bar and need to get an allignment done. I am looking to know if this is the problem or if there is something im missing and if and ajustable trac bar and allignment will correct this. ANY advice will help.

ReftonsRed said:
I just finished a 4.5 in lift on my bro's 98 XJ and when "finished" the front axle is sitting off to the drivers side a slight anount (about 3/4"). From searching I think he'll need an ajustable trac bar and need to get an allignment done. I am looking to know if this is the problem or if there is something im missing and if and ajustable trac bar and allignment will correct this. ANY advice will help.

Some kits require that you drill a hole in the track bar mount 3/4" toward the drivers side. This was the case with my RE 3.5 SR. If you have room you could drill a hole the other way, but I didn't pay attention to how much space there is.

Drilling is cheap and dangerous. Just get an adjustable track bar and align it!!:cool:

Yes with an adjustable T. bar you can center your axle. No big deal. Also will need to center your steering wheel. Collar right off pitman arm. with the T bar unhooked rock the jeep from side to side. this will center the body then either adjust bar to fit or redrill hole where necessary.

OK sounds good ill order a bar. Any opinions here? From what i see Rustys $120 and JKS $200 other good options?
And a question pertaining to allignment, is there a way to do a basic self alignment to get it close before i make the trek to the alignment shop?

ReftonsRed said:
question pertaining to allignment, is there a way to do a basic self alignment to get it close before i make the trek to the alignment shop?

I use two 2 foot levels on the hubs centered that way you can run a measuring tape from center of level where the rear of tire would be to the other side center of level where rear of tire would be to get it close. I think the front of tire is supposed to be toed in about 1/4 inch more then the back if memory serves. I hope this makes sense the way I explained it.

Last edited:
no reason to have a shop allign it, unless your unconfident in your work

ala go-jeeps article...
if your lucky, your tires will have a nice crease running around the circumferance in the tread to measure off, it helps

turpehar said:
Some kits require that you drill a hole in the track bar mount 3/4" toward the drivers side. This was the case with my RE 3.5 SR. If you have room you could drill a hole the other way, but I didn't pay attention to how much space there is.
Drilling toward the drive side would move the axle towards the passenger side.

Ok Id rather buy a adj. track bar than drill but while looking at some different models and saw that some come w/ a new bracket. Besides extra stregnth and support what are the benifits of having a track bar w/ the new bracket?

Ramsey said:
Drilling toward the drive side would move the axle towards the passenger side.
DUH!!Thats whats needed!

Obviously, but the guy I quoted was saying to do it the other way.

ReftonsRed said:
Ok Id rather buy a adj. track bar than drill but while looking at some different models and saw that some come w/ a new bracket. Besides extra stregnth and support what are the benifits of having a track bar w/ the new bracket?

The new bracket puts the frame side mount in a double sheer configuration, and gets rid of that stupid ball joint mount - weak and doesnt flex. Rubicon Express, TNT and Kevin's Offroad all make good setups like this.

Back