• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring removal-not a stuck bolt question

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I actually got my bolts out (wasn't THAT hard, no breaks or stuck bolts, just took a lot of cranking) but I can't get the leaf spring itself out now. I removed the rear shackle to frame bolt and the big front bolt. So now its "free" but wedged in real good.

How much should I droop the axle? Also whaled on it with a sledge but it doesnt want to budge.

By the way, I am trying to do this one side at a time, probably why it isnt really coming along. So if I just need to do both together I will. Reason for doing one side at a time is because I dont have a good way to control the axle if its fully detached.

Last edited:
are you doing one side at a time? if so you have to drop the other side at the same time...if not i suggest getting a pry bar and wedge it between the bumper and the spring and try it that way.

edit: sorry didn't read the last part. yeah if you don't do it at the same time the stress is being put on the front portion of the pack at an angel and thats what makes it hard to come out.

Did you just undo the bolts holding it in or has it already been removed from the axel as well?

rammie said:
By the way, I am trying to do this one side at a time, probably why it isnt really coming along. So if I just need to do both together I will. Reason for doing one side at a time is because I dont have a good way to control the axle if its fully detached.

It's much harder to do it one side at a time. The axle may wobble around but once you line everything up and bolt it up it all comes back together. The nature of the suspension is that when one side drops the other rises.

If there's any tension on the spring you'll be hard pressed to get it out. And if you thinks that's difficult wait til you try to put the new spring pack back in. Support the axle but let it droop and the spring should just fall out.

JMHO

Back