• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help on my XJ

azeckzer

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1988 jeep cheroke with the 4.0l and the ax-15 5spd

i am haveing some issues with it... here they are...

i start it up and it runs for a few seconds then dies

also when i try to give it gas it dies...

can anyone help me identify this problem..

it is also getting fuel to the rail, not sure if it is enough but it gets a good squirt then i let out on the thing

Mine acted this way when the IAC was stuck. The idle air control is located at the front of the throttle body, with the key off, remove the 2 torx head screws and pull the IAC out and carefully clean it. Clean up into the opening as well, then put a drop of light oil on the shaft near the can. Reinstall it and make sure the "O" ring is on the outer diameter of the can where it seals. Use a small dab of vaseline on the "O" ring so it will not get damaged when you put it into the TB.

Do not turn the key on with the IAC out of the TB it will most likely be damaged if you do so.

no they are no set up that way i just lost the oil pump on my 4.O MJ and it never lost its fuel but it did toast the road bearings lol so i swaped in the motor from a 91 H.O XJ . I would also check to see if you are getting proper fuel presure have you recently over heated it or run low of oil ? could be low compression you could also put a timming light on it to see if it is losing fire when it shuts off

Back