• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some transmission help!

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys I need some help here. I apparently have some major problems with my transmisison.
021.gif

I had some fulid leaking from the bellhousing (behind the torque converter). I was about 99% sure that it was the input seal that was leaking. With me being at school and the jeep being at home (200 miles away)...I had it taken over to my local Cottman transmission shop this morning to get the seal fixed. Basically to make a long story short....I get the dreaded phone call that theres more wrong than just a seal. Heres the rundown.....

1st phone call.....its not the input seal thats leaking, apparently the torque converter and oil pump are bad and thats what was causing the leak. The problem was, the fluid was really really burnt, so the the mechanic wanted to take the transmission apart to see why it was so burnt.

2nd phone call.....after taking everything apart, all the seals in the trans are shot (i.e from getting to hot) and the clutch packs are burnt, ontop of having a bad converter and pump. They quoted me 1600$ for a complete rebuild.

First of all, 1600$ sounded really high for a rebuild (esp using OEM parts). But what really made me question them was the idea that the clutch packs and torque converter we're both bad. Keeping in mind I've NEVER had a problem with my jeep shifting at all and it hasnt lost any power what so ever. Everything i've always been told is that when your clutch packs go bad you'll get 'chattering' from the transmission. I never had any of that.

So what are your guys opinion on all of this? I dont know a whole lot about automatic transmissions and being 200 miles away isnt helping much either.

1600 isn't that high for a tranny rebuild. The clutch packs may not be bad, but they're going to charge you labor for taking it apart and putting it back together whether they remove it or not. If I were you I'd just assume let them rebuild it while it is out and open, unless you have the tools to pick up a junkyard one and stuff it in.

Or the shop is full of crap and it's just a bad front seal. There are plenty of dishonest shops out there trying to charge for unnecceary rebuilds. Some are even worse and claim they did a rebuild and never even took it out of the vehicle. Unfortunately you're at their mercy at this point if they did pull the tranny. I'd be tempted to show up at their door and ask to see it. If it's not pulled apart, they are scamming you.

Personally, I'd go get another tranny and converter from the junkyard for $200 and have them install that instead.

You can get professionally rebuilt ones on eBay for $700 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Back