• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti lock brake screw up!

OnceKnotty

NAXJA Forum User
My anti-lock keeps engaging for no reason (that I know of), I can be stopping at stop sign at normal speed and pressure on the brake pedal and they will engage. Sometimes they will engage when I'm driving and not even touching the brake pedal.

Anyone else ever had this problem or can you tell me what I should be checking to fix.

What year is your XJ?

If it's an 88-91, you WILL have trouble with the ABS, thats the nature of the Bendix 9 system, it fails repeatedly, the good news is, that is a lifetime re-call (read: free fix at dealer), so go and get it fixed.....

If you have a newer XJ with the Bendix 4 or other ABS system, then I would check your wheel speed sensors and the connections at the ABS computer.....

its a 92 so I guess that would mean I have the Bendix 4 or just a newer one. This crap is driving me crazy today I almost hit a bus cause they engaged for no reason and made me swing real hard to the right from the sudden stop.

You might want to check your wheel speed sensors...

Also, on yours, you can pull the ABS fuse to disable them without screwin' with the normal brakes......
That will solve the problem TEMPORARILY unitl you can officially repair them....

Just keep in mind, your ABS light might stay on, even with the fuse pulled as they use a couple different power sources.....(One fuse for the pump, which you should pull, the other for the ABS brain, you may pull it, but that fuse could also run other circuits besides the ABS brain).

cool ill do that for now. Could there possibly be a problem with that "brain" where maybe I would need to replace the whole computer or something.

while were talking about check lights...

My maint required light has been on since i bought the jeep. any idea why that would be on? Ive had alot of things fixed on it since I bought it and I still havnt gotten it to turn off.

I just got a non ABS driverside front axle for my 96 XJ from the junkyard but my XJ has ABS and since the new axle doesnt have the wheel speed sensor my when I get on the brakes hard the frint end skids a little. If I remove the fuse would it stop this? If so, were is the fuse?
And finally, can I remove the entire ABS system without regretting it and messing stuff up? Thanks

SketchyXJ

The ABS tone ring is just pressed on the axle. You can remove the old one and reinstall it with a hammer and punch....

Disabling ABS is actaully a bad idea. I wouldn't want to be in front of you in a panic stop situation.....

SketchyXJ said:
I just got a non ABS driverside front axle for my 96 XJ from the junkyard but my XJ has ABS and since the new axle doesnt have the wheel speed sensor my when I get on the brakes hard the frint end skids a little. If I remove the fuse would it stop this? If so, were is the fuse?
And finally, can I remove the entire ABS system without regretting it and messing stuff up? Thanks

SketchyXJ
abs does a self check when it hits 10-15 MPH. if it doesn't see a speed sensor, it disables the whole ABS system, and should throw the light on.

yes, tone rings are easily moved. I am in the process of building a Dana44 rear with ABS :clap:

Thanks for your help, I'm going to go outside and swap out the tone ring to my nex axle. And thank you for not advising me to disable ABS because its a bad idea. ANd my lights not on yet, I dont know why.

Back