• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ratcheting Noise When Under Load

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
I am hearing a ratcheting type of noise coming from either the Transmission tunnel or front end of my rig. It only happens when I lay on the gas. It happens in 2wd or 4wd, also no difference if locker is on or off.

The noise just recently started, and I haven't been hard on it at all.

I had a Super 30 kit with ARB installed a few months ago.
Also I replaced the AW4 trans about a month ago too.

Iv checked the front and rear drive shafts for slop, the front U-Joints, and Fly Wheel bolts from backing out. I don't think its coming from inside the d30. I some times think it sounds like the front drive shaft taping on the floor.

I haven't found any difference in the functioning of anything on the jeep, Its just annoying.

Thanks guys for any help
-Chris

Mine was making the same noise. kind of like a bike chain popping on the sprokets? do you have a 231 tcase? if so its most likely the chain has stretched, and needs to be changed.

GrimmJeeper said:
Mine was making the same noise. kind of like a bike chain popping on the sprokets? do you have a 231 tcase? if so its most likely the chain has stretched, and needs to be changed.

But it happens in 2wd........

Unless the chain is so bad its smacking the case. But I fixed a leak in my tcase when I did my tranny a month or so ago. It was fine then, and I haven't been hard on it......I cant imagine that I could have stretched it that bad in that amount of time. Plus I dont feel it through the 4wd shifter.

I have no answer, infact I might have the same issue, but its more of a knock/thump when I get on the gas from a stand still. Sounds like its coming from the Tcase

I got under the other day, and started checking Ujoints and such, and noticed the Tcase front output shaft has some lateral play, dont know how much is allowed, but seems like too much. Wondering if yours is simular?

Im talking about the Front Tcase output shaft, mine moves side to side a little, and I dont think Im ok with that... Just wondering how much sided to side movement you get there. Im thinking it might be my issue as the front shaft is forced to turn even in 2wd, so my front output shaft gives off a couple thumps torquing into spin. I dont know...

I got an idea, lets go to Wellsville on the 17th with Erie Shores Jeeps, and share noises :)

Back