• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing ABS switching to 8.25

Are you planning on pulling out the ABS junk or just disconnecting it?

With you owning a 97, no reason not to just disconnect it and be done with it. 92 or before have the crappy bendix abs that has to be either working perfectly, or removed entirely, very little in-between.

Agreed, I just disabled the ABS on my '96 when I did my 8.25" swap. Basically, look in the owners manual and find all the fuses and relays that have anything to do with ABS, and remove them. Doing this will completely disable ABS, and prevent a Check Engine light or an ABS Warning light. Then you can just chop the wires to the WSS when you drop your old axle.

The sensors and associated wireing can be removed with out cutting them. The rears plug in under the rear seat, drivers side, pull them through the floor pan and remove them with the rear axle when you do the swap. The fronts are plugged in at each fender and you could just remove the sensors at each knuckle, 8mm socket is all you will need. Then just follow the others advice on unplugging the ABS unit and removing the fuse/s.

I keep all of this stuff in tact when I remove it so if some one needs it I can just give the parts to them, it feels good to help another Jeeper out, the favor is usually returned.

codyyy said:
Is there any way to leave the ABS on when putting in the 8.25?

If you can fabricate, then yes you can leave it on. You will have to weld tone rings onto the axles and cut the housing so that you can use the sensor. It's tough but it has been done.

If you cannot fabricate, then no you cannot keep ABS and should pull the relays.

codyyy said:
Is there any way to leave the ABS on when putting in the 8.25?
No, it's not possible. There is no way to incorporate the tone rings from the D35 onto the 8.25.

Hammered said:
Thanks guys, yes I am hoping to take it all out and be done with it. However I am a little unsure of what all it takes. Thats where you guys come in, thanks.
I just pulled the relays on my 1998 to disable the ABS. It is fine and works the same until I eventually pull all the stuff out. To pull the ABS junk out, you will have to bend new hard lines. You may also have to switch the proportioning valve...not sure but the writeups should say something.

Edit: here's a recent post with pics- http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940577

Last edited:
Back