• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another hard start.

lostNdallas

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 Renix. Occasionally, it will get hard to start. By hard to start, I mean several minutes of crank for 10 seconds, turn off, repeat. Very random. It could be hard to start for a week, or just once and not do it again for 4 months.

Last night it was going on 15 minutes of cranking (after being hard to start for the last 3 days) and I got frustrated and kicked the ECM under the dash. It's started fine ever since.

Hmmm.

Not really looking for answers, just an interesting observation. :p

Sounds like kicking ECU was coincidence, WAY to early to tell.
You could well have a bad connection in the CPS plug, or burnt/pinched CPS wiring near the manifold, a bad CPS, or many other things (fuel, other spark/ignition problem) Next time it fails, Gently unplug and reconnect the CPS connector. Does it start better hot, or cold? Does it ever die for no reason? I would lean 51/49% towards fuel problem if it never dies while running. See you in 3 months and 27 days.

Last edited:
I have a Kia that randomly will carnk but not fire. One day, in frustration, I slammed my fist on the steering wheel while it was cranking and VROOM! Now, when it won't fire, I bang the wheel and off I go.

Of course it NEVER does that at the dealership.

Doesn't matter if it's hot cold, wet, dry, day, night, just started, ran for minutes, ran for an hour, sat over night. It's about the most random symptom I've ever seen in a vehicle. It's only died once about 18 months ago on me but started right back up. The idle speed dropped way down until it just stopped. Usually it has a high idle problem (1200 - 1800) most of the time.

Back