• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion...............

Talking to "Browndog", it was explained to me that the 1" lifted mount was designed for that purpose to correct the angle after the SYE was installed, becasue it would allow the Tran-TC to be angled down to meet the angle of the rear drive shaft.

motor mount lifts are made for when you body lift a vehicle, if you motor mount lift your XJ, you're gonna move your fan away from the radiator (or push it into it), and probably have to adjust your hood too.

you need to point your pinion at your TC (1* below driveline angle), not the other way around. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Adjusting your pinion angle is a hell of a lot easier than fixing all of the other stuff that a MM lift would cause.

sprngfldxj said:
Talking to "Browndog", it was explained to me that the 1" lifted mount was designed for that purpose to correct the angle after the SYE was installed, becasue it would allow the Tran-TC to be angled down to meet the angle of the rear drive shaft.

i know that wouldnt work with my 5speed because the trans has 4 bolts that mounts to the mount and crossmember and those bolts would not allow the transfercase to be angled. it would also tear the mount apart. i would also be concerned that the mechanical fan would be angled towards the radiator on my 89. another concern would be the the clearance between the bellhousing and the tranny tunnel. when i dropped the tranny, there wasnt much room at the top of the bellhousing.

how much clearance is there between the throttle body and the hood?

not saying it would nt work for you

I thought I would hear from you guys before going that route.
I havent made the purchase yet, but it does sound better to make adjustments in other areas if it is a concern rather than changing the engine setup- thanks!

the good thing about doing an SYE is that you dont do a TC drop - so you dont lose any ground clearance...

I would think that clocking the rear axle and doing a SYE would be the way to go. My thought is that if you decrease the angle at the rear you increase it at the front. OK for road bad for crawling. IMHO

Google " Leaf Spring shims" I got dozens of places seling steel and alum ones.

Unbolt the u-bolts, drop the axle, install the shim, re attach the ubolts.

Air tools make it much less painful.

Hoever if I recall correctly, I needed to change the center pin on mine once in order to reengage the spring perch.

You want to pull the center pin and make the shim part of the leaf pack....

Go with steel ones. Aluminum tends to break/crack. Personally, I dont re-use center pins or U-bolts, so once you loosen those up, you'll want new ones.

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=72

JO sells shims, center pins, u-bolts - and if its not listed, give him a call, they can get just about anything, I think...awesome people.

The painfull way but more long term solution would be to cut off the perches and reweld them at the apropriate axle rotation. Not a big fan of wedges or blocks, but understandably not every body has a mig welder in there back pocket.

Back