• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting off!

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have an 88 XJ 4.0 5 speed and it just started acting up the other day. So far its only done it under load and usually going up a hill or incline. It will cut off for a spilt second, the tac drops and the shift up light comes on even though im already in 5th gear. Every once in awhile it will do it while up shifting from a stop. It goes down the highway just fine until you get to an incline. It is almost like you cut the key off but just for a second. Sometimes it will just do it once and sometimes it will do it several times in a row. If you guys can shed any light on what to look for that would be great. If you need anymore info let me know. Thanks, Jon

I think I figured it out. I pulled the dist cap off and there was about an inch of oil in the bottom of the dist. I sprayed it out with brake clean then blew it dry with an air gun. I have known that it was leaking some oil inside the dist but didnt realize there was that much in there. The sensor was under oil. I've been meaning to get a new dist due to internal leakage but havent gotten around to it. You know how it goes when you work on vehicles for a living, you neglect your own, well your work vehicle anyway. I baby my Powerstroke. It drove 50 miles home without a problem so I have my fingers crossed. I scored about 15 gallons of gas out of a diesel truck last week and put it in my jeep. Only had just a little diesel mixed in with it and I was worried about that. I've done it before when people pump there diesels full of gas and never had any problems but I was pretty sure it was an elec issue.

Jon

uh,what?

If your refering to the camshaft position sensor, it isnt really one I guess. But when you look it up on alldata "somedata" if you click on camshaft position sensor it takes you to the pic below, I believe what they are talking about is the sync signal generator.

42266615.gif

I think he was referring to you pulling diesel out and putting it in your jeep...

that and you were just kinda rambling on :D

Back