• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or MJ

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this question has been asked but which in your opinion is better (strength, off-roading, etc.) the XJ or the MJ. I tried searching for this but I can't really find anything, I'm thinking about getting an MJ but I don't know anything about them. Thanks.

MJ are nice I loved mine but had to get rid of it for the family friendly XJ. The MJ is the same on the front end as the XJ, and an ranger in the rear. Check out this site for MJ info and any questions....
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/index.php

But what are you looking for, a family of 4 trail rig, a DD, just offraod rig, etc.?

Both are unibody, MJ is double wall and has a frame on the back half. Both are going to be very simular. Do you want a station wagon or a truck?

yeah, it comes down what you like more. truck or SUV. body style is pretty much the major difference. the MJ has the spring below the axle in stock config where as the XJ has the axle below the spring is another difference. they both share most parts. i have 3 XJs. im ready for an MJ.

Biggest diffrence offroad: wheelbase. XJ is 101", which a lot of guys consider just about ideal. MJ is (as I remember) 112" shortbed, which is a little long, or 121" longbed, which I think would be a pita on the trails we run...

Something else to think about...

Robert

As far as construction in a stock state I would say the MJ is hands down stronger. The MJ has a factory brace around the lower control arm area. The MJ has a flat frame all the way beyond the cab where the XJ has that little rise in it. The MJ has additional bracing from the frame to the inner and outer floor. The MJ has a cap over the top of the frame rail in the cab which adds strength. The MJ tranny crossmember has additional support pieces that attach it to the frame better. However, from a useability point of view, the MJ is a two seater with a bed and the XJ is a four seater with a small interior storage area. Personal choice in that matter. The XJ always seems to be tagging trees and stuff in the rear upper corners but the MJ doesn't have anything to hit in that area! I've owned three xj's and modified them all. I'm in the process of outdoing all the XJ builds with my MJ build right now. It'll get a GM 5.3 engine, a Klune, a twin sticked t-case, an exo cage with a tube bed, narrowed and tubed front, coilover long arm 3 link in the front, quarter elliptic 4 link in the rear, 35 spline Dana 60 u-jointed high pinion D44 front, full float 35 spline high pinion 60 in the rear, fully plated frame rails, etc. I guess I've got a LONG way to go on the build though. Jeff

I know this is completely off topic, but, ARE YOU GUYS MADE OF MONEY or something? I mean I can barely pay for F*ing gas!!!!

Just a little vent there. Sorry bout that.

As for me, I'm not really much above you. I started building the axles two years ago and don't have them done yet. I sold my '98 XJ to get some cash to sink into this mess. I bought the MJ for $600 three years ago. I still need a lot of expensive junk to make this MJ work too. So far I've got the engine ('03 5.3), tranny ('01 4L60E), MJ hulk ('88), front axle housing with 60 ends on it but not welded and all outer stuff but no high steer components and recently purchased 35 spline ARB, rear 60 needing alignment and welding, axle shafts, locker, and gears, enough RE superflex joints to do the suspension and that's about it. I've got no tube, tube bender, tube notcher, etc. It's a good start, but there's a lot of work to do. Oh, I might have some age on you too. Jeff

I was told the "frames" are notorious for rust. I was thinking if I had to sell my XJ, what I'd get. It'd be a DD/trail use. I'd like the 4.5" SOA kit with 32s. I was wondering how the "frame" could be strengthened if needed. I love my XJ but I'm beginning to need something to haul crap in, and no matter how much I try to protect the interior, something always gets dirt/ripped/damaged somehow.
Is it just me, or is it really hard to find a good Comanche for sale? I've only found one on eBay and like few on the Craigslist around here.

Last edited:
I would say the MJ is prone tu rust, but I don't know if it's any more prone than the XJ. My son is driving a rusty MJ right now. I believe it is hard to find a nice MJ for sale but I live in the rust belt, so most of them around here are rusted pretty bad. The one I'm building spent most of it's life in Colorado with some time in Missouri, so rust wise the thing was REALLY nice. The body had some small surface rust and thats gotten worse now that it lives around here, but the frame and cab are really in good shape. Perhaps you'll have to keep an eye open for MJ's for sale out west? Jeff

HMGanja said:
I know this is completely off topic, but, ARE YOU GUYS MADE OF MONEY or something? I mean I can barely pay for F*ing gas!!!!

Just a little vent there. Sorry bout that.
I have a money tree in the backyard. :clap:

I havent had to buy gas in the past 9 months. That alone has probably been one of my biggest $$$ savings....

LOL. Not trying to hyjack this dude's thread but Starboard, you need to send me some seeds!!!
And so I dont feel like a complete a$$: Codyyy, I have only seen about 10 MJ's around here.....ever. And everyone I have seen looked like you describe. Like they were abused/not maintaned/and hung up to dry. And for some odd reason, there almost all 2wd... There, now I have contributed in some way.

Anything is prone to rust in MI, I bought my MJ for $100 in FL, had 4.0, stick and 4x4, drove it back and only replace the powersteering pump on the whole trip. But body was rust free. Great shape too, you can find them just have to look, here is a nice one here...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951624

The only way I could get the MJ is if I sold my XJ (I'm thinking of moving back to CA) however I'd like the 6 cyl. and 4x4 as a must. I just wasn't sure where to look and what the issue is with the unibody.

Wus up CODYYY, i own a MJ and i love it, but just like everyone else said their pretty much the same it just depends on if you want a SUV or a truck

I admire the guys who wheel MJs. I just couldn't beat on one with a clear conscience. I also don't think I could get used to wheeling a truck, as I've always wheeled a CJ or XJ. I really like having some interior space for spare clothes, trail tools, etc.

fubar XJ said:
I admire the guys who wheel MJs. I just couldn't beat on one with a clear conscience. I also don't think I could get used to wheeling a truck, as I've always wheeled a CJ or XJ. I really like having some interior space for spare clothes, trail tools, etc.

Big plastic boxes are a cheap way of keeping your stuff dry in a pickup bed or open trailer. I used to run a PU and liked the easy accessibilty of an open bed.

Back