• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding a transmission?

prolly the AW4 then. same year group as mine, and I got the AW4.

take a picture if you can so we can see it.

if it's an automatic it's an AW4

very stout trans, long lived too if proper care is taken.

personally i would treat it to new clutch packs, bands, seals, bearings, valvebody gasket, filter... but those things aren't the cheapest.

is an experienced tech doing the rebuild or will this be your first time taking apart a trans?

Last edited:
well i dont think i would be rebuilding it myself, i was going to at least pull it from my parts jeep, depending on how that goes might attempt to install it it

ive been told its not that hard to figure out

it was driven for a while when it was leaking tranny fluid when i pinched the cooling line 4x4in leaking tranny fluid and driving it till it was dry..i fixed it got home and the other day the tranny got really bad, slipping all the time then it finaly got really bad and i can drive it anywhere unless im going 5km an hour

Sounds like a roasted trans to me!!!!

Rebuilds are easy to so, but may require special tools. Having it rebuilt proffessionally is a good way to, so long as you DO NOT use AAMCO....(I have had mass bad luck with them)

That way, you also get a warranty and garuantee on part and labor.....

I usually do my own rebuilds, so I know how frustrating they can be.....(I also grenaded one of my rebuilds, so I kow how that goes too!!!)

If you rebuild it yourself, get a good tranny rebuild manual for the AW4, that way all your bases will be covered. Just don't use a chilton or Haynes manual for the Jeep Cherokee, it doesn't cover anything axcept for removal and install....

ya im not even going to attempt to rebuild myself, im going to look into prices on getting it rebuilt, if i can afford it i will go for it, if not i will just swap and hopefully the tranny in my parts jeep works well..

A tranny is definitely something I'd hit the JY up for $100-150 vs $700-1200 is defintely worth the risk. I would even feel better taking one that had lower mileage and took some body damage that cost more than the Jeep was worth and thus was junked rather than one that appeared OK.

gradon said:
A tranny is definitely something I'd hit the JY up for $100-150 vs $700-1200 is defintely worth the risk. I would even feel better taking one that had lower mileage and took some body damage that cost more than the Jeep was worth and thus was junked rather than one that appeared OK.

i totally agee.

you will learn more from doing the swap yourself. its not so much the "know how" as deciding you can do it yourself.

Back