• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 point harnesses

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
What do you recommend? I have no clue what to look for in one appart from the fact that it's 5 point (I think, though I'm not too sure about the advantage of a 5 point over 4 point).

Thanks

Alot will be determined by your seat set-up.But anyway a 5th point is really only needed to keep you from sliding down out of the belts(usually high G's).

Ive been looking at harnesses for my self. I decided on CROW. They are one of the cheapest, they meet most of the different race car harness restrictions (like nascar and trac stuff), they have all the accesories available, and are easy to find. A lot of the other brands your just paying for a name.
Personally I am not going w/ a cam lock because Ive heard if you get them dirty they jam up (w/ no roof on the xj there gunna get dirty) and some say they dont release under pressure, aka when your upside down and hanging.

the 5th point keeps you more secure, it keeps your ass in the seat, keeps the lap belt from riding up. Personally I never thought Id like 5 point belts, but after riding in 2 JeepSpeed rigs 1 with 4 and 1 with 5, I like the 5 better and now understand why its there.

I use G-Force 3 inch belts. Also have Mastercraft seats. Perfect combo. Lap belt for the majority of the stuff, but the whole harness is there when I go after the stuff bigger than my XJ.

4 points suck. The buckle rides up in your sternum all day long and there's nothing you can do about it.

I run the RCI lever lock ones in my rig, they're fine. I got them cheap since they're past the expiration date.

OK, I just found out that my seat does not have a hole for the 5 point harness.... so I guess I'm going to go with a 4 point for now.

The lock/release mechanisms: any comments on those?

I have the RCI ones in my rig with the latch. I normally run just the lap belt unless I'm about to do something stupid.

You don't have to have the hole in the seat to run the anti submarine belt. And I just run 4 points in my rig.

I really like the "latch" style. As you can positively see that it is engaged. Just a quick glance, up it is together.

However, my next set will be the cam lock style. Because you can run the lap belt and then add to the harness very quickly and easily without having to disassemble the whole damn thing to put it back together. Just click in the shoulders and away you go.

Crow harnesses are a wee bit wider than the RCI's and the adjustments are easier on them too.

vetteboy said:
4 points suck. The buckle rides up in your sternum all day long and there's nothing you can do about it.

I run the RCI lever lock ones in my rig, they're fine. I got them cheap since they're past the expiration date.
Vetteboy brings up a good point.
Once a harness is past it's expiration, it has little value for a competition car/truck/buggy. You can send them back to the manufacture for inspection, and retag, but for the cost difference it makes more sense to buy new.
So it might be worth your time to ask if there is expired belts floatin around.

My .02

Back