• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of getting a new ride got a ?

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 02 Avalanche Z71 with the price of gas going up I am concidering selling it once I get it paid off in feb. thinking about getting a colorado wondering if anyone has one and what they think of them. I love my truck and would hate to give it up, but at best it only gets 16mpg where the colorados get up to 26. thanks for any input/advise.

My friend who is a Chevy sackrider bought, one and promptly sold it

It was a piece of junk

Keep the AV if its going to be paid off It would still be cheeper than a new truck payment and $5.00 a gal gas...........I have a Hypertech programer for a 02 avalanche you could custom tune it and maybe squeeze some mpg's I was getting 18 + in a 02 North face 4x4 Avalanche

Last edited:
i would love to get 16mpg in any vehicle, let alone 26. i'm at 11mpg right now. plus the colorados with the door in the side of the beed look really funky, in fact, clorados look funky in general...

Last edited:
I had to rent one to pick up some stuff cross country. I hated that thing! I kept hitting the wiper controls everytime I drove it.. Had a touchy clutch but maybe it was just that particular one.. I stalled it a lot cuz you had to give it a lot of gas before engaging the clutch. AND the turning radius blew for a small truck. Had to three point basic u turns. Just my .2 cents but I actually made not to myself not to ever buy one.

I have it tweaked, currently running a K&N CAI duel exhaust and a superchips programmer. Thinking I might try a different plug running ac delco right now a change from bosch. it seemed happier with the bosch.

May have to rethink the colorado. Any other suggestions for a mid size pu?

The ford rangers we have are pretty reliable but mpg is in the 17-19 range

I'd like to get a tacoma those damn things seem to be indestructable and they get decent milage

Tacoma or Frontier.

Do you really need a truck? I get 30mpg out of my Accord.... just saying.

Gerr said:
The ford rangers we have are pretty reliable but mpg is in the 17-19 range

I'd like to get a tacoma those damn things seem to be indestructable and they get decent milage

x2 on the yota, my 86 with 300,xxx on it would not die.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Tacoma or Frontier.

Do you really need a truck? I get 30mpg out of my Accord.... just saying.

Yes need a truck, i have 3 kids and 2 large dogs the truck has been a life saver. If I got a car I know I would regret it it'd be like trading in a corvette for a caviler. The biggest reason I dont want to get rid of it is because I have had to use it to tow the jeep around and various other things. Its nice to have that reassurance at home just incase the jeep breaks on the trail. It'd be a lot cheaper to rent a trailor and tow it myself than to pay a tow truck. I dont know maybe I'll just get the wife a bus pass.

The Nissan Titan V8 4 door gets up to 22-25 MPG. Its big as hell comfy and has all sorts of cool ass gadgets and nifty shit built right in. U can fit the family the dogs and tow anything u want

homebrew said:
Yes need a truck, i have 3 kids and 2 large dogs the truck has been a life saver. If I got a car I know I would regret it it'd be like trading in a corvette for a caviler. The biggest reason I dont want to get rid of it is because I have had to use it to tow the jeep around and various other things. Its nice to have that reassurance at home just incase the jeep breaks on the trail. It'd be a lot cheaper to rent a trailor and tow it myself than to pay a tow truck. I dont know maybe I'll just get the wife a bus pass.

Ok. Was just curious if it was a machismo thing or an acutal need; I want a tow rig myself but can't afford it now.

I'd go with a V6 Tacoma or Frontier Crew cab, I know the Taco has enough guts to pull your Jeep. Tacos have gotten quite a bit bigger in the current generation and are sized more like a Dakota.

A need I dont know but I have used it and like I said should me or someone else need help getting home from the trail with a busted jeep it is nice to have it there. Maybe I'll feel better about it once its paid off, That will be and extra 500 a month in my pocket.
O yeah what is a "machismo"

homebrew said:
O yeah what is a "machismo"

That would be the "I need a truck to prove that I am a straight, red meat eating MAN!" syndrome

WraithKWK said:
The Nissan Titan V8 4 door gets up to 22-25 MPG.
LIAR, LIAR...
MaxValerie.jpg

We had those at Hertz. They were rated for 14, every customer who ever rented one came back with complaints about mpg in the 10-12 range...Fun trucks, loads of power but horrible mileage...Maybe you're thinking of the Frontier with 4.0 V6, but they don't even get that kinda mileage. Bout the only one to consistently break into the mid 20s is the Colorado/Canyon. They drive good, but I know nothing of long term reliability. The 5 cylinder is actually pretty good. The first two years it was a 220hp 3.5L. Better than the 4.3L V6 from the S10. If the Tacoma and Frontier didn't come out with so much power you wouldn't even notice the "lack of power" in the Colorado. The 2007+ models got a shot of steroids in the form of a displacement increase for both the 4 and 5 cyl engines. The new 2.9L 4cyl has more power than the Rager's 3.0 V6. The 3.7L 5 cyl now has 242 hp, same as the Tacoma's 4.0 V6 and only 20 behind the Frontier. Mind you, the Colorado is a bit lighter than the Tacoma and Frontier. I like em myself, in case you haven't guessed. :) If gas wasn't so expensive I'd go for the Frontier (the Tacoma requires premium in order to make its full power, so on regular gas the Colorado's 5 has more power than the Tacoma's 6).

I have a colorado and I enjoy it. Havent had any issues out of it, and it gets fairly decent gas mileage out on the freeway. Only time I ever wished i had a lil more power was when i was moving from TX to WA, and driving thru Wyoming i had a headwind with 70mph gusts plus.

Back