• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ + XJ = Avalanch XJ?

yj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen people do crew cab XJ with the micro size bed. Has anyone grafted parts of the MJ bed and lengthened the wheelbase to be more like an Avalanche? I got a free 88 XJ with a blown engine I want to tinker with. I'm gonna put the 4.2L from my YJ in it and put a 360 from my totaled one ton Dodge in the YJ.

I've thought of it...it would take quite a bit of doing, and require a roll cage and some frame plating

get a 4.0 block and use the parts from the 4.2 to make a 4.5 stroker,
sounds like you'll have alot of work with the xj avalanche,

If you want a unibody Avalanche, buy a Honda Ridgeline :)
I take it you are looking at adding some MJ bed to the back of a chopped XJ and lengthening the wheelbase? Sounds like a heckuva project. I wonder how effective it would be to lengthen a unibody chassis - not just adding channel, here...

Starboard M said:
Why would you want the 4.2?

it's free.

hey, i just remembered another thing.

xj frames become wider, starting somewhere around the middle of the front seats. you can use an MJ rear to extend it, but you are going to either need to build your own rear frame and box mounts, OR chop the comanche "frame rails" right behind the lower control arms, and the cherokee's frame rail right before it gets wider. don't chop the body at this point...they will "overlap"

also, the MJ roof is a bit higher than the xj's.

Back