• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Light Question:not the usual one.

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 SE 2dr. I was searching for info on installing the factory switch and lights and decided to go take a look at my rig. Well, all the threads I found said that the location in the box where the relay goes wasn't wired in theirs. WELL, the Fog Light position in my XJ is wired, just no relay or switch. Can someone with a factory fog light ride post a picture of the place your relay plugs in to verify I have the correct place. The DRL (daytime running light) position is not wired, but the Fog Light location is. Weird? I think so?

Don't even have a clue where the relay is supposed to be. Is it in the fuse panel or under the hood or someother obscure location? No idea myself. The switch on the other hand has a plug on the back of it and the wires disappear into a bundle of factory wires, so near impossible to trace.

The relay goes in the Fuse/Relay center under the hood. Also, I've seen the wiring pluged into the blank on the switch panel on the dash when I put my radio in, so I know the wiring is there. I just wanted a picture of the Fuse/Relay center with the Fog relay removed (on a Foglight equiped vehicle) so see if you have to have all 5 contacts or if the 4 that are there is all there should be.

1999 (no fog lights) ABS/fog and FOG relay locations in PDC

2000 (factory fog lights) FOG1 and FOG2 relay locations in PDC - NO DRL mentioned

You can use a factory switch and install your own wires and relays. As I understand from other postings, parts of the wire harness or the relay sockets are not present and unless you purchase the full fog light install kit, installing just a switch, relay, and lamps doesn't work.

Last edited:
Thanks Fitch, but I'm headed about an hour in the other direction later today, can't afford to!!! I went junkyard snooping at Agee's for a few min today, but couldn't find the switch or the wiring harness for the front end.... OH, one more thing! (sorry fitch) but could you take a picture of the # of relays in the fuse box under the dash also? I'm unsure if I need an extra fuse or relay to go there if I do the upgrade!!!

Tim_MN said:
As I understand from other postings, parts of the wire harness or the relay sockets are not present and unless you purchase the full fog light install kit, installing just a switch, relay, and lamps doesn't work.

Yep, I put factory fogs on my '99. I had the pigtails under the bumper, the slots for the lights already cutout, the switch in the dash connected to something, but no relay and no relay sockets to plug into...

I just bought the lights only before I found this out and had to go back to JeepsAreUs and buy the harness... You'll save a few bucks buying the complete kit, which I didn't.

terryd said:
Thanks Fitch, but I'm headed about an hour in the other direction later today, can't afford to!!! I went junkyard snooping at Agee's for a few min today, but couldn't find the switch or the wiring harness for the front end.... OH, one more thing! (sorry fitch) but could you take a picture of the # of relays in the fuse box under the dash also? I'm unsure if I need an extra fuse or relay to go there if I do the upgrade!!!
as you can tell by my lack of picture, i didn't get a chance to get the picture. i had to work through lunch. but i'll snap the picture when i get home and post it up. :cheers:

here ya go...

i forgot that i took out the relay. it's burried in my shop somewhere. but figured it wasn't needed for the pic. i outlined where it's supposed to go in red:

IMG_0335.jpg

and here's the socket it belongs to:

IMG_0338.jpg

My 99 with no factory fog lamps looks like the picture FitchVA posted.

My 2000 with factory fog lamps is below. There is also a fuse (10 or 15 amp) in the PDC that is for the fog lamps. My ABS relay is removed.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
My 98SE had no sockets in the PDC, it did however have a live plug in the switch panel in the dash, at least when I plugged in a factory fog switch it illuminated it. I bought the add on wiring harness from jeep, jeepsareus have them.
I used the internal part of the add on kit, new panel, switch, relays and harness and ended up with ONE wire through the firewall. I ran that up near the PDC and mounted a Hella fused relay on the inside fender to a grounding bolt, that one wire is the trigger for the relay. From that relay to the lights I used the rest of the Hella wiring that came in the kit.
IMO if all it required was a couple of relays and a short harness jeep would have saved money on the add on kit and not put all those extra parts in it. Now on my 97ZJ the fog light wires are up front and it appears all I need for that are the relay/relays [I have not really looked] and the switch panel, on the ZJ the switch panel for parking/headlights and fogs are all one piece.

Thanks Fitch and Tim for the pix! Mine looks like Fitch's. It has the terminals already in the PDC and has the harness hanging under the bumper. You guys think I have enough parts to just plug in the relay and switch and it work?

terryd said:
Thanks Fitch and Tim for the pix! Mine looks like Fitch's. It has the terminals already in the PDC and has the harness hanging under the bumper. You guys think I have enough parts to just plug in the relay and switch and it work?

quick way to find out, put the relays in, put the switch in and put a voltmeter on the plugs under the bumper, see what happens... you will need a new 3 hole panel though if yours is like my 98's was. Unfortunately the XJ blanks don't just remove the way a TJ's does. Jeep also makes a 4 hole panel too.

I dunno if my panel's blanks will remove or not. I was looking at the 4hole panel on jeepsareus, thinking how nice it would be to wire a switch into that fourth hole for OBA one day.

Back