• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on gears before I screw something up.

pecsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I found a rear D44 with 3.54 gears, currently I have 3.55 gears. I have read somewere that running these together that it wont cause a problem but cant find were I read it. So would it work?

Also if anyone knows were to find this right up/web site on the subject please let me know, thanks.

pecsxj said:
I found a rear D44 with 3.54 gears, currently I have 3.55 gears. I have read somewere that running these together that it wont cause a problem but cant find were I read it. So would it work?

Also if anyone knows were to find this right up/web site on the subject please let me know, thanks.
You will be fine, you will only mess something up if you are running something like 3.55's and 3.73's together. I never did understand why some diffs say 3.55 or 3.54, they get the ratio by dividing the ring gear teeth by the pinion teeth. Where do they get a .01 difference? I don't know

Awesome, thanks guys. I like it when people give answers and leave out all the BS and flaming. Thanks again.

I have heard of a 4.09 and 4.11 on the same vehicle. I think thats what you get from D44 front and FoMoCo 9" rear. Not sure though...

i've heard of that being done... i think 2% is a decent rule of thumb. keep in mind that numerically, 2% on numerically lower gears is less of a change than 2% on numerically higher, for instance, i'm on stock gears with the ax15, so i have 3.07 gears. 2% of 3.07 is about .06... 2%. 2% of 4.56 is about .09. so, actually... 2% might be a bit high. moral of the story, be within .03 or so and you'll be ok. you never use 4x4 on dry roads, so it's not a big deal. you only use it when there's loss of traction, in which case a tiny bit of fr-back slip will go unnoticed.

Back