• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 guage cluser swap.

Terrific

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping the idiot cluster in my 97 xj to a tach cluster. I've removed the dash panels and all screws from the cluster. It won't come out. I can't tell what's holding it in. I'm being gentle and don't want to pull too hard. I don't want to break anything. Anyone know what the hold-up is? Is it just the plugs? Thanks.

Pull harder! The electrical conections on the pack clip together pretty tight. If all the screws are out it will still feel like it is held in snug, basically the electrical connections fit together like adding a sound card to a computer. The electrical connection is pretty firm but just pull.

Re: 97 guage cluster swap.

jeepboy381 said:
Pull harder! The electrical conections on the pack clip together pretty tight. If all the screws are out it will still feel like it is held in snug, basically the electrical connections fit together like adding a sound card to a computer. The electrical connection is pretty firm but just pull.

Thanks. I pulled the top part of the dash board off to get a better look. I simply used a screwdriver to pry the plugs out.

I reinstalled, in reverse order, and it works like a charm.

The tailgated ajar symbol is on, as expected, but the rest of the guages and lights, work as they are supposed to.

I now have a bell, and a light, in addition to the guage, to tell me to go buy some $3.60, per gallon.

By the way, the new guage cluster is from a 99 xj. It works perfectly on my 97 xj. (In case anyone wants to know.)

Yea all 97-2001 are interchangable. Props to Chrysler for finally making everything electrical. However someone once told me your mileage was stored in the engine computer. Not true. Your odometer will read whatever the installed one last read.

Re: 97 guage cluster swap.

DanMan2k06 said:
Yea all 97-2001 are interchangable. Props to Chrysler for finally making everything electrical. However someone once told me your mileage was stored in the engine computer. Not true. Your odometer will read whatever the installed one last read.

Yeah, it took me a while, but I found one that was within 1000 miles of my actual mileage. This was a mod I've been wanting for a while. It sucks not knowing water temp or oil pressure.

First let me congratulate you on the installation....
When I did the instrument cluster swap almost 8 years ago...; I installed the cluster from a 97 TJ and discovered that the Windshield Washer reservoir LOW level stayed on continuously.... and another indicator light did not work at all....
After quite a bit of investigation using the 97 & 98 FSM schematic wiring pinouts; I found there is a difference between 97 & 98 where the grounding wires are not on the same pins and a few other subtle differences. This will cause certain indicator lights to stay on or not work at all...
As a general rule.... the 1997 XJ and TJ should ONLY use their specific year clusters, but the 98-01 XJ can interchange with the 98-02 TJ.
Recently I found a cluster on Ebay from a 99 XJ that had within 100 miles of what the ECM has on it; so I purchased the cluster for $30 and sold the old one on Ebay for about the same....

I put one from a 01 in my 97 and just pulled the rear hatch light out since it was staying on, works like a champ now...that low fuel bell scared the crap outta me the first time it went off :wow:

Back