• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch shock upgrades?

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what will be heavier duty than whats on there now? I have 6.5" speakers mounted in the hatch and they are too heavy for new shocks to hold up let alone old ones...

Have you tried new ones? I have heavy 6.5 speakers in mine . The new cylinders hold up my hatch fine.

tsill said:
Anyone know what will be heavier duty than whats on there now? I have 6.5" speakers mounted in the hatch and they are too heavy for new shocks to hold up let alone old ones...

I THINK HE HAS TRIED NEW ONES....

Im interested in this as well I have the same problem

i also have the same problem with my 6X9 speakers in the hatch. With the speakers out it will pop right open, with the speakers in not a chance. The only remedy I found was a broken broom stick given to me by my girlfriends grandma. I painted it black and keep it with me at all times. Thanks Grandma!!!!

redkling said:
I THINK HE HAS TRIED NEW ONES....

Im interested in this as well I have the same problem

i havent tried new ones yet but thought there may be some heavier duty ones out there so i didn't waste money on stock.

jeepboy381 said:
My new ones wouldn't lift my hatch after the speakers were installed.

that's what i was thinking. i have alpine 6.5" in the hatch mounted to a piece of mdf that is cut in the shape of the recess that is in the hatch plastic panel. boy is that a run on sentence or what?

any hatch shock gurus out there? someone that has devoted there technical career to shock gas pressures and the like? someone who just plain loves hatch shocks and all there abilities.

I think I remember seeing a picture of someone's that had put double shocks on each side. My original shocks were failing and I would crack my head every time I loaded my dogs to go hunting. I got my replacements from NAPA. They seem pretty good. I can't remember what I searched under but I did see a picture of the double shock fix on here.
Take care, Hoss

A new set of cylinders should hold up that hatch no problem, even with heavy speakers. I put new ones on mine (Autozone) and they are pretty stout. Get a new set and call it good. ;)

How heavy are these speakers?

Try the reverse of what they do for the hood. They take the hood shocks and put them on the hood. SOOOO, take that rod and mount it to the hatch and make a bracket for the prop to sit on. I would keep at least one shock on there to help with lifting it.

i will try the new stock shocks and see how they do. will post back. the speakers are alpines and are pretty heavy but the mdf doesnt help matters either.

If you go to the parts store they usually have a bunch of shocks. Get the heaviest duty one that is close to your stock measurements. They won't be off an XJ.

Its just like getting shocks for your suspension, know what your closed and open lengths are. Also, odds are a stronger shock will extend longer. This WILL destroy hinges, you may need to add a cable/chain limiting strap to prevent this...

Still toying with looking for one that will hold up a 33" spare :D

The auto parts houses do have catalogs that list shocks by mounting ends, open/closed length, and rated pounds of lift. Ther are not many choices because they only sell what was specified for standard production. IIRC they run up in pounds lift at 30 pound increments. A stout pair sure would pop the hinges hard, they may even knock down bystanders.

They have built in limits to the amount they rise - a chain or strap should be designed as an shock absorbing device to stop fatigue cracking around the hinge points.

The real problem is mounting heavy speakers in the hatch to begin with. Because of the limited space for sound production, it's not a prime location like the package shelf in a sedan. Big speakers belong in the rear wells where they have more resonance volume and won't cause more problems.

I upgraded to better speakers and suffer the same problem, even tried Stop Sticks to hold up the strut, and found aftermarket replacements wear out twice as fast. If anything worked at all, removing the non-working wiper motor did the most.

Ask for the catalog to look up what might work for you, A-zone corporately doesn't want to have their guys waste the time. Try O'Reilly or NAPA as they prefer real car guys and mechanics for customers.

All of the hatch shocks aren't the same. I've gotten new ones that barely raised a stock hatch. The last set I got from Crown automotive are borderline too strong. It may be Quadratec carries these.

SUSPA Grand Rapids, MI. C16-05563A 446. Get your chin out of the way when you push the button on the hatch and be prepared to use two arms to close the hatch.

Back