• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on this welder?

But you could buy one of each voltage for the same price.

yes so you get to weld for 10 min on that tank of co2. a less mobile unit will be cheeper for a higher amperage welder.

If you wanted the Passport but want to do more stationary welding with it, you can hook it up to a larger tank. The small one is more for on site or emergency work so you don't have to lug a more normal sized tank around.

The Passport is a nice unit if you need it to be really portable, but if you can handle something a little bigger take a look at the DVI (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_dvi/). It's got the same 115/220 compatability for quite a bit less, and it's still not too big. Also, I've found that the prices they list on their site are usually a few hundred more than what most retail places around here get for them.

Yeah, it is pretty close to the same price, and you wouldn't have to shell it out all at once. Having two separate welders could be nice, I was just tossing out the DVI as a slightly cheaper alternative if he was really looking at dropping that much on the passport just to get the multi-voltage system. I personally would go for two separate machines, or not even bother with the 115, but to each there own. Right now I just bum welders off of freinds...:)

Thanks for the replies guys, just looking at the portability for a chase truck application with a generator, still kicking around ideas. I really need a nice 220V welder for my projects I have planned so I may just forget about the portability factor and go with a "normal" 220v model, I just would like to do it right the first time so I am really trying to find out what everyone really likes/dislikes about their welders. Thanks again, too bad there aren't any welding suppliers here in the supporting vendors, I am ready to buy asap.

Just get a bobcat and be done with it :thumbup:

well thanks again guys, I am now comparing the Lincoln sp-175 and the Lincoln powermig 215, the pm 215 is about $500 more than the 175 so I really need to re-think how I plan on recouping the losses and if it is even necessary to go w/ the 215.

Back