• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator clean out?

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a FREE radiator that doesn't leak (mine does). But it was full of nasty brown gunk. I've run the hose through it in both directions for an hour. I want to make sure it's really clean before I install it. Anyone have a really good suggestion for what to clean it with?

have you pressure tested it? my mot be too much money to have it pressure tested and cleaned professionally.

could do a chemical cleaning or a wash with baking soda.

I used the 6 hour cleaner stuff before changing my old radiator out, and it was strong enough to give me my heat back (totally degunked the heater core, I wanted everything to deposit in my radiator before removing it). However, if your radiator has that kind of scum in it, I wouldn't expect too much from anything; I'd hate to see you take the time to install and find it's flow is poor, or worse dirties up the rest of your cooling system.

Thanks, It does flow quite well, I just want all the crud out of it first. Ill get a some of the cooling system cleaner and fill it with it. I can let it sit for a week or two now that it's motorcycle season! any recommendations on which product?

First thing (IMO) is recovery points. Then lift. Replace the rearend, This may also get rid of the U strap that so many have problems with. A SYE of some type can be done at the same time. and do the disk conversion at the same time. Switch the front shaft with one from a ABS Cherokee (bigger Us). Then a 4.7 engine. Are you rich? If not I hope you like being poor.

A wife and a Cherokee cost about the same! But the XJ wouldn,t talk back.

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE.

badron said:
First thing (IMO) is recovery points. Then lift. Replace the rearend, This may also get rid of the U strap that so many have problems with. A SYE of some type can be done at the same time. and do the disk conversion at the same time. Switch the front shaft with one from a ABS Cherokee (bigger Us). Then a 4.7 engine. Are you rich? If not I hope you like being poor.

A wife and a Cherokee cost about the same! But the XJ wouldn,t talk back.

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE.

I think I missed the question, if that is the answer.

I have found vinegar is the best thing to clean the cooling system with. I also does not have the harsh effects on the bearings in the water pump some other chemical flushes will cause. It is also cheap. You should be able to find it for about $1 a gallon.

Back