• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will they fit?

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I am going to look at the rubicon rims with stock Good year tires on them. My XJ has the stock suspension now, and I am curious, will the rim and tire combo even fit properly? Without rubbing anywhere, specifically on the LCA's. And is the backspacing ok? Thanks again for any help. Oh, does anyone have good pictures of some cherokee's with the rubicon rims? I would like to see some.NAXJA :)

I fit 30'' Goodyears on a 1.5'' bb on one of my XJs. Its sagged so Im betting its close to stock.
So you could do 28s to maybe 30s depending on how new or sagged your Jeep is.

They fit. I just did a 2" spacer up front and full length AAL in the rear.

xjweb.jpg

where did you get the 2" spacer, and the AAL? Just a 2" AAL? I really like the way your looks. Do you ever take it off-road? Do the tires rub at all at full flex. Thanks Chris:cool:

Yeah, it was just a 2" full length AAL.. I got both the AAL and the front spacers from Rusty's.. I had to do a 1" TC drop as well to get rid of the vibes over 30MPH. The 2" AAL actually provided 4" of lift in the rear.. This picture doesn't really show that since it has 300lbs of tongue weight on the hitch.

I just did the lift and tires about 3 months ago, haven't had it offroad yet, there is not a lot of places to take it around here without having to drive over an hour away.

If you are looking for "take off" rubicon wheels and tires try contacting a jeep dealer that also does modifications.. I found a local dealer that was taking brand new rubicons and lifting them.. They had all 4 rubicon wheels and tires for $700 and they had NO miles on them.

I ran stock Rubicon rims and tires for just over a year and a half. I had them with my old set-up with a 3" lift up front and 4-5" in the back. I could turn lock to lock with no rubbing anywhere on the street. Off road they did rub when flexing, but I had no rear sway bar and the front disconnected and didn't do any real trimming. If I had kept the sway bars and more bump stop or with some good trimming I probably would have been fine.

I should mention that even when I went to 7" of lift and kept them on for a while, I could still get them to rub. I've always kept my rig pretty flexy... :laugh3:

Sounds Flexy, I want to keep mine stock withsome fender trimming, what is the best tools to use for this? I am also going to get some new shocks, what do you guys recommend for nice shocks on and offroad? Thanks for all the continued support.:)

chelms27 said:
Sounds Flexy, I want to keep mine stock withsome fender trimming, what is the best tools to use for this? I am also going to get some new shocks, what do you guys recommend for nice shocks on and offroad? Thanks for all the continued support.:)
I prefer my 4.5" angle grinder or 3" cut off wheel when I'm cutting body panels. They don't distort what's left of the panels like a saw or tin snips would. They can get hot and bubble the surrounding paint if you're not careful, but I always prep and paint the area surrounding the cuts, so that's not an issue for me.

Here are some great write-ups for trimming if you haven't seen them yet:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87959&highlight=fender+trim+stock+flare
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90022&highlight=fender+trim+stock+flare

For shocks, if you're staying at stock height or with a 2" budget boost, I always liked my Monroe Sensitracs, comfortable ride and cheap. They always held up well for me too. Now that my rig is taller I really like my Rubicon Express Monotube shocks.

thanks for the responses, I am looking into the shocks as we speak, and I have narrowed it down to RE monotube, and bilsteins. Thanks have a good weekend

I ran the rubicon wheels with 315/75/16 BFG muds for almost a year.They rubed the swaybar at full lock(no longer running a swaybar in front),also rubed the coil bucket in the fender at full flex.

Your should be ok maybe shackles in the back and some trimming a good i dea is just take the fender flares of it adds about an inch of more room and the Goodyear wranglers MTRs are a 245/75 R16 which equals out to 30.4x9.6x16 tire in normal terms so get rid of those flares and slap them on and if they rub on the inside which i doubt they will just get a wheel spacer but the ones i have are 10 inches wide and no rubing i hope i helped

what shackles do you recommend? can a get a set from the junkyard on another vehicle, or should I just spend the 50....bucks and get a different pair? thanksNAXJA :compwork:

look for Comanche MJ shackles there 1 inch more of lift that should work for you or check ebay i got my from 2in shackles from Rough Country and there good and strong smashed my right on a rock and is fine that should get you there

Thanks Black Sheep, I will get this thing the way I want it sooner or later, I will probably be ready to go to a 4.5" lift by the time I decide LOL. Thanks

If you do just want to toss in a BB for now, Daystar sells a pretty inexpensive kit. Spacers for up front and shackles for the back. That was the first lift my XJ ever saw and I was very happy with it. I sold/traded the parts from that off for other things and from what I've heard they're still in use in two other XJ's.

If you're looking at just getting some shackles, an even better alternative would be a boomerang shackle, especially if you're going to add full packs down the road. They allow more flex and movement from your pack. I run the TnT boomerang shackles right now.

Back