• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which "Precision" P/N for outer U joint for 2001 Dana 30

squidtone

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Jeepers,
I have a 2001 XJ bone stock. I've started a mild refurbishment of the front end which includes ball joints and outer axle shaft U-joints. I went to a local auto place and they gave me Federal Mogul Precision brand U joints. The P/N is 371. These buggers are not greasable. Will the Precision brand P/N 377 fit the 2001 dana 30 outer axle ends? I think that part number is greasable.....

Thanks
Dave

Yes, I want to grease these things when I do my routine front end greasing.
At lunch, I went over to the parts store and talked to the counter guy. He said they'll most likely fit (this is a real good counter guy). For some reason, their books don't list the 377 as a part that'll fit the 2001. I think NAPA does. So despite the doubt, I traded in the 371's and bought 377's. They have a mini grease fitting that fits on one of the end caps.
The u-joints were about 7 bucks more each. If I have any fit issues, I'll post back.

On napa's site it lists both being available for your axle for left and right sides. from the description that you gave it sounds like it's precision's super strength u joint. Best way to check would be to cut the wheel all the way to one side and jack up the axle and spin the tire to see how much clearance you have between the u joint and lower ball joint.

posted on this earlier. super strength joints from precision did not fit for me. i have a 00' and the cross of the u joint would not fit in the ears length wise. what i'm trying to say is the caps fit fine, but i could not get the length of the cross into the shafts, too long. went with spicers and am happy.

Okay, In the interest of closure, I'd like to report that the Federal Modul Precision Super Strength #377's fit my 2001 XJ.
The u-joint comes with a very low profile grease fitting on one of the caps. It clears the new Moog "problem solver" lower ball joints which has it's own grease cap installed.

Interestingly, the u-joint castings say 371 on them. I think they just cross drill the 371's and they become #377's.

Thanks.

Back