• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky Oil pressure problems

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Last week a changed the oil in my 1997 4.0 sport. Since I work at a ford dealership I used a motorcraft filter and 5w30 synthetic blend. Now today i was driving at about 45mph and noticed the oil pressure guage slowly started dropping to around 20psi. When I came to a stop the oil pressure slowly dropped some more to around 15psi or so then comes up to twenty then back down. I went to check the oil and when i pulled the stick out it was dry, checked again two seconds later and im reading full??? I dont think I have an oil pump problem but im just a little worried. Anyone had this problem before? What conventional oil are you guys running in the summer?

I'd replace the oil sender unit (aka oil switch) and see what happens to those weird readings. :cheers:

I agree with the pressure switch. Good chance it was knocked when the oil filter was being changed (happened to mine last oil change - now I get maxed out pressure and no pressure some times).

Im pretty convinced thats not my problem. At a cold start i get a tad over 40 psi then at a hot idle around 20psi lately,but just today it started dropping pressure while driving up an incline on the highway. I did throw some lucas oil stabalizer in there so maybe that has something to do with it?

My 97 was showing intermittent low oil pressure with about 104k on the meticulously maintained, never ever overheated, synthetic-oil since 26k 4.0.

I took the plug off the sender (above the filter) and blasted the plug and socket with electrical contact cleaner and re-installed.

Problem solved.

Back