• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep designers tick me off

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I was out in my customers shop building and installing a new shopkey server for him when I got curious. They had a 08 Liberty up on the lift so I looked around.
This may already be common knowledge but on the 08 anyway they come from the factory with a SYE and nice looking slip yoke rear driveshaft.
Here they tried different lubes, transfer case drops and on the TJ's this monster harmonic balancer to solve driveline vibes and FINALLY ended up doing it the correct way, unbelievable, their engineering dept must be run by a politician who decrees bandaids before finally fixing the problem..it only took them 10 FREAKING YEARS.

so... libbys have 231's right?

I agree with you Rich, why not just have SYE's on ALL Cherokees from the factory. It would haved us Jeep guys a couple hundred bucks!:shocked:

IslanderOffRoad said:
so... libbys have 231's right?

I did not think to look, I was oogling that bright polished fluted driveshaft with it's rubber boot over the slip yoke, it was even more shiney than the reflective heat shield behind the cat and muffler. I'm ticked I did not measure the dam thing but I was in the middle of a bunch of phone calls to snap on trying to get the activation floppys for the shop key stuff emailed to me so we would not have to wait a week for the mail.

Jeep didnt design the transfer case...New Process did....dont get mad at jeep. thats like saying jeep designed the Pugoet B10 tranny and their a buch of tards for desigining it the way they did. the NP231 is a reliable t-case that fit, would hold up to what it was intended for, and was easialy adaptable. thus it fit the bill for DC and found its way under the cherokee. but jeep didnt design it.

I thought it was either AMC or Chrysler (probably Chrysler) that decided that a slip yoke would easier and quicker to install making the trucks cheaper to make. Then again from what I've read elsewhere, the transmission problems with teh A604 transaxle was caused by accountants trying to make them cheaper to produce......wonder if the hit to the company's quality was worth the money saved.......

Nomercy said:
Jeep didnt design the transfer case...New Process did....dont get mad at jeep. thats like saying jeep designed the Pugoet B10 tranny and their a buch of tards for desigining it the way they did. the NP231 is a reliable t-case that fit, would hold up to what it was intended for, and was easialy adaptable. thus it fit the bill for DC and found its way under the cherokee. but jeep didnt design it.

Jeep may not have designed the T-case, but they did place the order to New Process Gear and tell them what they wanted.

As a design engineer - the most important aspect of any project is usually cost. Of the nearly 3 million XJ's ever sold, how many are lifted and require an SYE? Here's a hint: no where near enough to justify an extra couple hundred bucks per vehicle. A couple hundred bucks x 3 million vehicles is a boatload of cash that it would have cost the company.

the_weirdo said:
As a design engineer - the most important aspect of any project is usually cost. Of the nearly 3 million XJ's ever sold, how many are lifted and require an SYE? Here's a hint: no where near enough to justify an extra couple hundred bucks per vehicle. A couple hundred bucks x 3 million vehicles is a boatload of cash that it would have cost the company.

Just to clarify, a great many STOCK OUT THE DOOR XJ's from the factory suffered from drive line vibrations once they went to the slip yoke, it was even worse on the owners who ordered the up country option, so did it save them money, don't really know.

Not to mention that it wouldn't cost them a couple hundred dollars each, that's the retail price we consumers pay. And you know they would've just raised the price by 2.5 times whatever the real price was to them...:D

RichP said:
Just to clarify, a great many STOCK OUT THE DOOR XJ's from the factory suffered from drive line vibrations once they went to the slip yoke, it was even worse on the owners who ordered the up country option, so did it save them money, don't really know.

Even if this is true - a "great many" is WAY less than 3 million. It's all a money game. I guarantee it saved them money - that is the basic reason that corporations do things. They don't do things that lose money, it's bad business.

Tech forums are for doing.

OT is for general whining.

Being able to whine about a non-XJ having something that an XJ should have: $30
Putting it in the correct Forum: Priceless.

:D :D :D

Less whining and more doing or :badpc:

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Tech forums are for doing.

OT is for general whining.

Being able to whine about a non-XJ having something that an XJ should have: $30
Putting it in the correct Forum: Priceless.

:D :D :D

Less whining and more doing or :badpc:

Ron

I more or less stuck it in here just for the knowledge that *maybe* an 08 Liberty drive shaft might be an idea using factory parts which I'm a big fan of :D, I'll need to measure one though.

They have been calling the Liberty a Cherokee in Europe from the beginning...its not a "new" thing with the 2008s.

So is this the first Jeep from the factory that has an SYE? GCs never had it? What about the new JKs?

JNickel101 said:
So is this the first Jeep from the factory that has an SYE? GCs never had it? What about the new JKs?
TJ Rubicons came with a SYE from the factory.

Back