• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't get key out of new column

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in a new steering column that came with a key, everything went fine except I can't get the key out of the ignition. Dumb me, I didn't think to test that when I bought the column. The key just WON'T turn all the way to the "lock" mark - I tried pretty major force until I was afraid I would break it. There isn't any button to push that I can find, and the key itself won't push in any further like on some cars. (Refresh my memory, my key on the old column hasn't worked for a while, do you have to do anything special to turn it to "lock"?)

My vehicle is a 92 and the column is supposedly a 93.

On a related matter, what's the easiest way to disconnect the "key-in/door-open" buzzer?

on the buzzer, its a relay you can remove from the fuse box on the drivers side. mine wa on the upper left of the fuse box, if i recall

I would loosen the screws holding the ignition switch (the actual switch on top of the lower section of the column) and move the switch up and down while turning the key to see if the switch is mis-adjusted

On the '93 you do not have to do anything special to turn to lock and remove the key.

I'm not sure if it would cause your problem, but if you have auto, make sure the bracket that retains the key removal interlock cable is attached to the lower screw holding the ignition switch.

89CherokeePioneer said:
In order to turn the key off, theres a cable that actuates something at the bottom of the column allowing it to turn back. See anything like that?

Is part of it the piece I have circled below (poorly, but twice - I ain't too good at circling with my mouse) in red? The part that mates to that is a cable with a plastic box on the end that pushes up against that metal ball - there's no connection, just proximity, and I could have knocked it out of alignment while reinstalling. I can't see it now since it's on top, but I can drop the column again and look at it when I get time.

Pelican said:
I would loosen the screws holding the ignition switch (the actual switch on top of the lower section of the column) and move the switch up and down while turning the key to see if the switch is mis-adjusted

Is the ignition switch the part I have circled in green?

Pelican said:
I'm not sure if it would cause your problem, but if you have auto, make sure the bracket that retains the key removal interlock cable is attached to the lower screw holding the ignition switch.

Yes, I have auto. This sounds like the thing that attaches to the part I circled in red, per the previous comment, is that right? If so, yes the bracket and the cable are attached there, but as mentioned above I might have knocked this out of alignment where it mates to the metal ball. If I'm correctly following what ya'll are saying, it sounds like that's my most likely culprit.

column1.jpg

Back