• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with front end clunking

AnzaJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed an OME 3” lift, adjustable track bar, JKS Quicker disconnects, and 31” BFG AT tires on my 1997 XJ, I then took it in and got an alignment. Since the lift has been installed I get a clunking that sounds like its coming from the front driver’s side when I go over small bumps or uneven pavement. I’ve climbed around under the Jeep, but just don’t know what is causing the issue. Shortly after the lift, I was driving on the freeway with the stock 27” tires and the front end started to bounce and shimmy and I had to pull over; I thought possibly one of the stock tires was out of balance. I’ve since been driving with the BFGs and that hasn’t happened again, but I’m wondering if that is related to the clunking. Any suggestions?

Sounds like really bad ball joints to me. Recheck all the bolts and stearing components. Use a pry bar to check, not just your hand. Jack up the tire and see if you can feel anything loose when you shake it.

You got a case of the death wobbles. That can be a PITA to figure out. Again check every bolt/not and make sure they are tight. Another thing to check is to make sure the drag link and the trac bar are working in the same plane. If they are not on the same plane/angle that will cause the wicked death wobble.

Seeing as you changed the trac bar too, I think that may have something to do with it. But the clunking makes me think a TRE or ball joint. How did the trac bar mount? Does it use a TRE or a heim? Also have someone get in and turn the wheels back and forth quickly and then slowly, look at EVERYTHING and check for any play while you are under the jeep. Then have them stand on your front bumper and bounce up and down on it and again check everything for play.

Post up a pic of your front end and we can tell you if its a problem or not.

Another thing is to check the lower control arm mounts on the unibody side, look for signs of shiny metal which will tell you the lower control arm is sliding back and forth there. That would make the clunking sound and cause the wobble. The holes there allow for movement they are not just a round hole. I'm sure you've seen that they are oblong and allow the control arm to slide maybe an inch or so.

Last edited:
As for the clunk on uneven pavement, etc -
Check your shock bolts. When I did my lift I forgot to tighten the damn things down - had the same noises you describe. Whoops.

DW - if it isn't happening with the setup you have now, it isn't happening. Go over every bolt you can find and check ball joints but I wouldn't sweat it if it isn't happening with the BFGs on.

Then, thats me.

"bounce and shimmy and I had to pull over" That would be really out of balance but I've had that happen with mud in the rim

Any chance that some lug nuts where loose? And it got fixed with the new tires?

jonnyghost said:
"bounce and shimmy and I had to pull over" That would be really out of balance but I've had that happen with mud in the rim

An out of balance tire/wheel can cause the harmonics nesessary to create death wobble which is the "bouncing and shimmy and I had to pull over" not the wheel its self shaking so bad. But the out of balance wheel will cause a slight shimmy that will create the death wobble.

Shure, I understand that. That's why he should check all the steering linkage. But if everything is tight then he shouldn't get death wobble from a tire out of ballance with only a 3" lift should he?

I guess I'm just thinking that the balanced tire might be masking another problem

Last edited:
I just found my klunking. After tightening all the bolts that I could find and checking everything out. I found that I had(have) a bad u-joint at the pass side wheel, and I need new front upper control arm bushings. Just a couple ideas that I found on mine. Good luck as klunks are a pain in the rear to find.

jonnyghost said:
Just noticed the Quick disconnects, they often make a clunking sound when hitting bumps
Mine does that too. The QD upper end contacts the coil on a hard stop/right turn. Not much I can do about it, so I smear a little grease there every once in awhile.

Ok -sounds like I have some homework to do tonight. I'll check and re check everything and check back in with you guys. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

As for the quick disconnect comment, I honestly thought that was what I was hearing when it first happened (sitting on the 31" BFGs), then when the 27's were on and I had the death wobble, I figured the two must be related.

I think I'll also try driving with the swaybar disconnected and see if I still hear the clunk.

jonnyghost said:
Shure, I understand that. That's why he should check all the steering linkage. But if everything is tight then he shouldn't get death wobble from a tire out of ballance with only a 3" lift should he?

I guess I'm just thinking that the balanced tire might be masking another problem

Sometimes it can be related to something else but not always. An out of balance tire/wheel can really throw things out of wack.

I'm running unbalanced 38x14.5" SX on my XJ right now and without the hydroassist steering I know I'd have horrible death wobble from them on the street.

And I'm just throwing out known reasons that cause death wobble it could be any of these things or none of them

Back