• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 without c-clips

xalexjx

NAXJA Forum User
I run an 8.25 27 spline with alloys and a lock rite. Going to put some disks brakes on it next week.. Was thinking about pulling the c-clips out.. anyone ever do this? I could leave it in but if i break its a pita. Although iv ran it over a year and never broke it nor do i plan to :D

No,you need the c-clips!!!!!!!

I think you're misunderstanding their importance. While it may be true that a c-clip axle's shaft may not immediately walk out after breaking if they are equipped with a disc brake conversion, that in no way means that it would be safe to drive it that way. Side loading of the axle shafts when on the road would overcome the caliper mounting bolts in short order, and could very likely rip the caliper from its mounts, letting the axle come loose from the housing at speed, and most likely causing a serious accident.

In other words, keep the c-clips in place, or use a set of c-clip eliminators, if they are even available for your axle.

C-clip rarely break on axles with a more robust housing design than a Dana 35. The main weakness of the 35 is a weak housing, which actually flexes quite a bit. In turn, that puts extra stresses on the carrier, and something has to give. In a 35, that's usually the c-clip end of the shaft if you're lucky, and carrier or spider gear breakage if you're not.

LOl, As posted above you need the clips. I am not sure if there is a C clip eliminator kit for the 8.25. I doubt it. If you are running a 8.25 they are a fact of life.

xalexjx said:
yep ill just keep running it as is...Never broken it with over a year of running it locked on 33's..

Come awn........you really didn't just ask if you could run a c-clip axle without the actual c-clips, expecting the rotors to hold them in place did you????

I thought you knew better than that.:jester:

Back