• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MPG drop

bwh0069

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and my mileage has dropped about 5 mpg.Does anyone have any suggestions.I just recently changed plugs,wires,coil pack,air filter.I was getting close to 20 mpg and now it is around 15 mpg.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

usually o2 sensor shave alot to do with mpg.

i didnt think the 2000 had spark plug wires.

i would also clean the throttle body and IAC and use some fuel injector cleaner.

recheck that the coils packs are seated properly although that would most likely through code.

Other than what 89xj said. Did you recently lift it, add a basket, get bigger tires, do more short trips around town then usual(more stop and go), long extended idleing any more than usual, etc? Do you have a engine light on? What plugs did you put in and did you gap them. If you put in platinums(sp) I hope you didn't try to gap them with a ramp style gapper as that will destroy a platinum(sp) plug. Were you on the skinny pedal harder and more often than usual?

No I really haven't changed any of those.The plugs were gapped correctly.Do you think a aged O2 sensor might be the problem?

bwh0069 said:
No I really haven't changed any of those.The plugs were gapped correctly.Do you think a aged O2 sensor might be the problem?

is it the original o2 sensor? how many miles?

i believe the upstream sensor is the one you want to change and on the 2000, there may be 2, but im not sure as i own an 89 with only 1 o2 sensor in the whole exhaust sysytem

Doesn't a bad O2 throw a code?

And yes, you will have 2 O2 sensors.

The question is, why would it drop so suddenly? And after doing the tune-up. Seems like they'd be related. I'd say, reset your computer. Pull your negative battery cable for a few minutes.

bwh0069 said:
I have a 2000 XJ and my mileage has dropped about 5 mpg.Does anyone have any suggestions.I just recently changed plugs,wires,coil pack,air filter.I was getting close to 20 mpg and now it is around 15 mpg.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm just amazed you were able to get 20mpg..... I have never gotten that in my or my wifes 2001's. Hers is bone stock and gets maybe 300 miles per tank which equals around 15mpg. What is wrong with our rigs????

PurpleCherokee said:
The question is, why would it drop so suddenly? And after doing the tune-up. Seems like they'd be related. I'd say, reset your computer. Pull your negative battery cable for a few minutes.

x2

definetly reset the computer.

Could it be the change over to summer gas?
Winter gas has to be more volitile for cold winter starts.
Not sure when the change over occurs.

I like to reset my RENIX every majoe tune-up or changes to engine, and go through computer re-learn procedures.

bwh0069 said:

Is your gas an ethanol blend? If so, you should expect a mileage drop.

SharkXJ said:
I'm just amazed you were able to get 20mpg..... I have never gotten that in my or my wifes 2001's. Hers is bone stock and gets maybe 300 miles per tank which equals around 15mpg. What is wrong with our rigs????

Every time I see such MPG ratings posted I think the same thing. I'd do a freakin' dance if I could get anything approaching 20 MPG!!! Mine didn't even do that when it was brand new!!! :rattle:

SharkXJ said:

300 miles per tank??? I'm doin good to get 250 and I get about 20mpg. That's cause my "20 gallon tank" only seems to hold 17 gallons max. That's mostly cause I get nervous when my gas gage goes to E lol. I could prolly get 300 if i wanted to.

Before I lifted my rig, and w/ a K&N intake I was getting around 20mpg. Now I'm lucky if I get 260 out of a tank.

SharkXJ said:
Poor engineering, poor aerodynamics.

ALL of them get this kind of mileage, and the people that say they get 20+ FWY MPG are either eggaggerating or they are calculating incorrectly.

Window stickers said 15 city and 20 highway. Since when do cars get significantly HIGHER than mfr's and EPA's estimates?! I've only seen cars get WORSE than estimated, never better.

Throw big tires, a lift, a roof rack into the mix...with a little vac leak, worn plugs or faulty O2 sensors in...and VIOLA! 220 highway miles with a 20-gallon tank. :flamemad:

Recent road trip to Newark,CA I topped off before I left and Made it 330mi.
When I finally filled up only used 16.5 gal.
30" tires, 3.07 gears, usually 4th(1.00) or 5th gear(.79), 2500-3000RPM 60-93mph
Now granted my mileage is off, so estimate of 23MPG isn't so far fetched
I got about 17MPG(guage mi.) on the way back loaded down with lift parts incl.6 leaf pacs (3 sets)

Granted 7000ft down to 20ft in elevation helped:wave:

There's a certain speed that cars like to travel around that gets ideal gas mileage. I'm almost positive 93mph is NOT that speed lol. Usually when you go above 60-65 your mileage goes downhill.

I just had my injectors cleaned and reset my ecm.It seems that at this point with 125 on this tank I am getting back on track.I use it to run the same route every time that I drive it.It is pretty easy to keep up with fuel economy.To all you nay sayers if I take all my tools out of the XJ I can get 22 mpg.

Back