• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting my feet wet....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here ever un the Barlow road??

Being as this is my first 4WD, I thought it might be a nice easy one (if not long one) to break myself in....

Otherwise I am open to other "easy" rated trails....

In my opinion the best way to get your feet wet is to go out with a group of people to somewhere like TSF. Ask them for advice and let them help you through sections of the trail that are difficult. The more time you spending watching the "lines" they take and trying them yourself the better you will start to understand your vehicle and what it is capable of.

Two of the most important things you can learn from experience are:
1. Picking the "line" you think is best for your vehicle
2. Learning Throttle Control.

I can think of several occasions taking someone out with a resonably new Jeep to them and them looking at a trail and saying "there is no way I can make it down there". Sure enough with a little spotting and some guidance they made it through with flying colors and were in shock. The more you practice and learn the better your Jeep will perform.

If you are concerned about doing damage just ride along the first couple of times with others as another option. But doing it yourself is really how you get the experience you need.

Michael

Experience needed.....

I didn't think about the ride-along aspect.....

One of these times when I have the time and cash, I WILL make it out to an event and actaully flog it on a trail or too.....

For now, I did manage to find a couple good mud pits here locally....

Once I coat the XJ from head to toe in mud I will post the pics.....

Eh, mud sucks. It gets into every crevice and ruins moving parts. You'll probably have to discover this the hard way like the rest of us did.

fubar XJ said:
Eh, mud sucks. It gets into every crevice and ruins moving parts. You'll probably have to discover this the hard way like the rest of us did.

Isn't that the truth!!

Michael

poorboy_616 said:
I have learned, the hard way....

But since I need to tear this one down anyway, I figure I might as well have some fun before hand.....

Until you begin the tear down and discover that:

1) Mud gets everywhere

2) No matter how much crap has fallen off your XJ into your face, any little vibration will dislodge more if you are under your rig.

FiFo said:

1) Mud gets everywhere

2) No matter how much crap has fallen off your XJ into your face, any little vibration will dislodge more if you are under your rig.

Been there, done that....

I am willing to put up with the dirt fallign in my face. The first day I crawled under it, she took a big fat one right in my face....

From there the relatinship has blossomed... :laugh2:

Now, I have to go finish the wifes van....

Long Beach has really no driveable dunes, well, OK they are driveable, just not legally....

It's great for driving, touring and clamming, but not so much for fun...

If I REALLY want to go dune running, I'll go to Oregon.....

poorboy_616 said:
Long Beach has really no driveable dunes, well, OK they are driveable, just not legally....

It's great for driving, touring and clamming, but not so much for fun...

If I REALLY want to go dune running, I'll go to Oregon.....

There was a guy in the Coast Guard stationed at Astoria on these boards... He was getting transfered at some point so he may be gone now. I know of another XJ owner in Astoria but he has only lurked on the borads a few times...

FiFo said:

1) Mud gets everywhere

I spent 10 bucks at the car wash on my Knees pressure washing under mine... and I'm still pulling clods of red clay out from a day when I got stuck for under 2 minutes. The Clay soil up here turns to BRICK when its dry.

Anyhow, I installed Grand Wagoneer Horns on the XJ the other weekend. and when I tested them out it knocked dried mud loose from some unseen spot. Had to laugh, ... HOOOOOONK... crumble crumble...

:gee:

Sand Lake, a few miles northwest of Pacific City on the Oregon Coast... lots of dunes, a couple nice bowls to climb, rip around on the beach, camp, see the sun... air down with some decent ATs or mudders, and you can go about anywhere... just stay out of the quad trails in the treeline!!! VERY steep, and will swallow a Cherokee whole...

sandlake9.jpg

Sandlake12.jpg

All you need is a flag at least 9' off the ground and an OHV sticker, available where quads are sold, among other places... the little bait/mom and pop store in Pacific City sells 'em, too... and to pay the day use fee or camping fee...

BTW... sorry for the Ramcharger pics, but we just got the XJ a couple months ago, so no pics of it @ Sand Lake yet...

poorboy_616 said:
I have no issues with getting an oregon ORV permit, nor a WA one for that matter......

I do believe you can use the WA permit in Oregon parks

And on the original subject of this thread, I will be leading a trip on the Barlow road in August if you're interested. pnwoutdoors.net

Why would you be able to use a WA pass in OR?
They are completely different use fee's and government organizations.

Michael

Back