• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Louvers Question

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search, found lots of photos, but nothing really tech wise...

I'm putting these (in black):
sidebare.jpg

On my hood. Has anyone done an under hood temp test to see where it's the hottest? I was messing around with locations and thought this looked the best and would be the most functional as well:

HoodLouvers_0011.sized.jpg

HoodLouvers_0021.sized.jpg

HoodLouvers_0031.sized.jpg

HoodLouvers_0041.sized.jpg

Opinions?

not bad...my opion would be to paint them the matching red

red_01_xj said:
not bad...my opion would be to paint them the matching red

Thanks. haha "matching" red eh? Hmm.. lol... I think it's about 20 colors of faded red :)

rstarch345 said:
While I know you've already made you mind up as to what you want to use, you still might want to check this link out http://www.4wd.com/4wdforums/showthread.php?t=17368

I'm not allowed to click that link :-D

I have these laying around so I am going to use them. If I had more time and some money I wanted to throw into this I would be looking at the larger ones that we sell:

car15.jpg

car20.jpg

In this color:
Jeep.gif

I really want to see if someone did a heat test though under the hood. It'd be nice to see a thermal image of the engine compartment or even the hood to see where it's the hottest. Example:

underhood_lg1.gif

But for an XJ.

Last edited:
I put mine on the highest point in the center of the hood. Heat rises and that seemed like the most logical place, however they did not seem to help much.

No thermal test but from watching where the snow melts off first I opted to put mine in the front corners
http://forum.neow.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9299
Mine were cheap made by Auto vent shade part # AVS 983359
About $30 if I remember, I had to cut them out to make them funtional but they work well

Where they are it looks to me like they would interfere with the structure part underneath. You could move them in more but then they wouldnt match the body line. In putting in my lebaron vents i cut up a bit of the structural peice underneath and it has been fine, its only the hood i guess

From looking at thermal tests for other vehicles it looks like the location right above the fan (and to the sides) is the hottest under the hood.. example:

http://www.fluent.com/solutions/articles/ja118.pdf

Look at the second photo... hmm... I want these to be the most useful and not just for looks.

Boghog1 said:
No thermal test but from watching where the snow melts off first I opted to put mine in the front corners
http://forum.neow.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9299
Mine were cheap made by Auto vent shade part # AVS 983359
About $30 if I remember, I had to cut them out to make them funtional but they work well

Your location seems to be the best place for them from all these thermal charts and images I am looking at. Did you notice a reduction in underhood temps? Supposedly Race Ace suggest the rear of the hood?

Last edited:
on an average day i can see the heat pouring out of my lebaron vents when stopped, and they are in the center of the hood. i havent overheated even slightly since putting them on.

buzzbombxj said:
on an average day i can see the heat pouring out of my lebaron vents when stopped, and they are in the center of the hood. i havent overheated even slightly since putting them on.

Yah. I am not denying that ANY opening in the hood will help reduce heat, I just want it to be the most efficient :)

Think it'd look bad if I moved them up closer and more towards the center maybe?

You could put them on either side of the channel in the middle

Another thing I was just told to consider is not only heat escape in general, but the air flow under the hood. Putting vents over the hottest part of the engine may actually disrupt the air flow... If you put the vents at the end of the hood, this may in fact "suck" out the heat up front? Bah.. this is all so complicated for something that should be "easy"... :(

buzzbombxj said:
Where they are it looks to me like they would interfere with the structure part underneath. You could move them in more but then they wouldnt match the body line. In putting in my lebaron vents i cut up a bit of the structural peice underneath and it has been fine, its only the hood i guess
the hood isn't structural.

You can take it off and you probably wouldn't notice a difference while driving.

buzzbombxj said:
You could put them on either side of the channel in the middle

True.. since I just stopped caring about function lol.. I'll just put 'em where they look best.. probably like what you said.. we'll see... gotta pick up a few cut off wheel blades :)

gregmondro said:
the hood isn't structural.

You can take it off and you probably wouldn't notice a difference while driving.

I think he meant the structural part of the hood.. what holds the hood together?

GoJeep did a whole bit about airflow and underhood temps. Somewhere online there is a drawing of an XJ's engine compartment with underhood temperatures indicated. I just can't find it right now.

Back