• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

safety concerns of carrying fuel inside

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Lets hear them....
As part of my trail preparedness gear and every day for DD duty I carry a high quality five gallon plastic gas can,tightly sealed in the cargo area.....strapped down ofcourse.Any issues with this?
I ask because when the ambient temp rises the can likes to swell and it makes me kinda nervous.

can likes to swell and it makes me kinda nervous... No chit, i would be too..I don't like having it inside, tie it to your roof rack if you can....

at least here in the summer your inside of your car can reach a good 150+. i just wouldn't put a gas container inside with me. do the roof thing or a modification of your rear bumper to hold containers. looks bad a$$ that way anyways...

Yea I know...not to sound naieve but will the can really explode?There are no warning lables on them about leaving them inside of vehicles and such.I guess I could always switch to a steel jerry can....

outlander said:
Lets hear them....
As part of my trail preparedness gear and every day for DD duty I carry a high quality five gallon plastic gas can,tightly sealed in the cargo area.....strapped down ofcourse.Any issues with this?
I ask because when the ambient temp rises the can likes to swell and it makes me kinda nervous.

Hallo Jeepers. A good point to think about. I do this already for 6 years now, carry 2 gallons of gasoline in a plastic can. I agree that sometimes ,i have too open it to relieve the pressure. Also sometimes,you can smell the gas in the compartment when it is hot. The can fits exacly in my spare tire.
But you are right ,it is dangerous and I will look tomorrow for a steel one.:wave1: :flame:

Last edited:
You should never carry the fuel inside your vehicle IMHO. I use my roof rack if I need to carry a small gas can for my lawnmower back and forth to the gas station. I usually use the open part of my pick-up bed to transport fuel in. Always considered it too dangerous to be part of my trail gear. I fill up as close to the trail head as possible and know when I have reached the halfway point before I get there so that no extra fuel is required to make it back out.

Fuel should always be outside. Even the military uses poly cans now, metal doesn't hold up to as much abuse, and will rust if/when condensate gets in the fuel. A quality plastic can will do the job.

If you put it on the roof, consider no bigger than a 2-3 gallon container - that's up to a 25 pound overhead lift. It doesn't sound like much until you try to get it down and it's more than you expect, especially for your family. It has to be lifted over the roof rack to get it out - it's why bumper racks have been the preferred method since the '30's.

Better than the annoying drip - drip - drip of a flammable - inside with you - after the Jeep gets on the roof wheeling.

true but aren't plastic cans UV sensitive?
90bluexj:The reason I carry spare fuel is if my gas tank gets a hole in it I can patch it and have fuel to get home on....

DONT CARRY FUEL INSIDE THE CAB!!!!

A few years ago there was a Teacher from our High School who on their way home filled a couple gas cans and carried them inside their vehicle. About 35 minutes into their trip home, her husband fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked the SUV he was driving. The vehicle caught fire.

THEY ALL WERE KILLED BY THE FIRE!

The police reported that the fire burned so hot it was very difficult to put out. They assumed that because of the gas fumes, they all fell asleep, and their bodies were full of the fumes.

NEVER risk carrying fuel inside the cab if your driving any length of distance... you might be ok if your only driving 10 minutes, but your putting your life at huge risk.

I have seen first hand what can happen whe one is stored inside.....

Really big Boom and lots of pretty flames....

I also don't transport pressurized gas cylinders inside for the same reason....

Unless of course they are the small CO2 cartridges.....

Mine had a big ole sticker on it that warned not to drink the gas or store it indoors. Of course I was thinking, who would be that stupid....

Back