• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken shock bolt

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
alright, well my dipshit brother couldn't figure out what was rattling underneath the jeep, so 6 days later when I'm home from school I drive up the driveway and see that the upper mount of the shock came loose and the shock is laying down along the axle supported by the lower bolt and the differential housing. (what an idiot).

Turns out one of the upper shock mount bolts broke off inside the hole. What's the best way to get this out? I would think it would be some sort of extractor? anyone got a write up? what tools i'm going to need.... or would it seriously be worth it to just take it to tarheel 4wd and have them do it? I like doing my own work but I hate shit like this.

Well theres 5 threads at the bottom of this page!(and hundreds more)

yeah, i figured i should have searched but I'm so friggin busy with exams and crap right now... I'll look when I get a chance

like they say in some of the other threads, and I have personal experience with, pull up the carpet, measure and cut holes, take out the welded nuts and put in new nuts and bolts, and then put a plate over the hole. yeah, it sucks, but it works. I used silicone to stick the plates covering the holes back down, so I can pull them back up if I need to.

I had 3 break off on mine as well as one lower bolt. I didn't want to cut holes in the floor though. The way I did it was take a good high speed drill, some really good drill bits, and some oil. Try an ez-out if you want, didn't work for me but it's worth a shot. Make sure you have at least a few drill bits. Anyway, I start drilling the broken bolt stud with a small drill bit, oil up the bit, keep drilling, oil, switch to bigger bit, drill, oil etc. Then I drilled the hole slightly larger than the bolt, tap, and bought some new bolts. Since you only have one to deal with, it shouldn't take long.

all 4 of mine were f'd, took about a half hour to knock the welded nuts off with a small sledge and punch, fished new bolts in through the space on the side taped to a coat hanger, then slipped a box wrench in the same space to tighten them

Take an air chisel put the punc bit in an pop the nuts off. Reach in there with new Grade 8 bolts some anti seize and through bolt them.

!!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1

Jeepm@n said:
Take an air chisel put the punc bit in an pop the nuts off. Reach in there with new Grade 8 bolts some anti seize and through bolt them.

!!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1

i do not know why people even bother cutting holes in their floors.

this is byfar the fastest and easiest method.

a hammer and punch work just fine for those without airtools.

I performed this simple fix numerous times on numerous XJ's. Cutting your unibody to solve this problem is retarded.
Sorry if I've offended the handicapped........

SCjeeper said:
like they say in some of the other threads, and I have personal experience with, pull up the carpet, measure and cut holes, take out the welded nuts and put in new nuts and bolts, and then put a plate over the hole. yeah, it sucks, but it works. I used silicone to stick the plates covering the holes back down, so I can pull them back up if I need to.

this is not necessary, i just do like the idea of cutting holes in a perfectly good floor. Especially when you can fish bolts in the the holes and get a wrench on them. Mine punched out easily. Tooks like 5 extra minutes to do it this way.

codyyy said:
I had 3 break off on mine as well as one lower bolt. I didn't want to cut holes in the floor though. The way I did it was take a good high speed drill, some really good drill bits, and some oil. Try an ez-out if you want, didn't work for me but it's worth a shot. Make sure you have at least a few drill bits. Anyway, I start drilling the broken bolt stud with a small drill bit, oil up the bit, keep drilling, oil, switch to bigger bit, drill, oil etc. Then I drilled the hole slightly larger than the bolt, tap, and bought some new bolts. Since you only have one to deal with, it shouldn't take long.

did like this to...buy some good quality drill bits - the steel in the bolts is hard! If yo kill the treads, there is room for another nut on top of the old one - just tape the nut to a the tool (not room for my fingers in there...)

good luck

so everyone seems that a punch out is the best route. I'm putting in Bar Pin Eliminators, will I be able to tighten these bolts down w/o welding the top-nut in?

This is what i did

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepbpe.html

I got some one to weld them on. They hold great. if you want you can bolt them up if you get the old bolts out and drill and tap new threads and bolt these up and never have to deal with that again

Note.. I says for a Wrangler but it will fit just fine in the cherokee.

I have those exact BPEs from rocky-road. I just wanted to put in a new bolt. I'm contemplating welding them in also. But I would much rather just get that old friggin bolt out.

Back