• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar question

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just put on a new trackbar BDS and the upper end (frame side) ball stud moves slightly when I move the steering wheel. And when I'm turning or stopping it clunks a little bit. Is this ball stud bad? Or is this a symptom of another problem?

A bad joint or wrong taper!What is actually moving?

Well The joint seems to be moving. But the taper might be wrong also. It doesn't seem to seat all the way up. Although it seems tight.

At that lift you shouldnt be running a TRE trackbar anyway.

I had the same problem when I first lifted to about 4", tried a few joints, but none lasted more than a week. I ended up ditching the TRE style bar, and got a Rusty's HD TB with the brace. After reading horror stories about them, I decided to just build my own.
jdxj said:
It's because of the limited movement a TRE allows. Also at that lift height, like you are discovering, there are vertical forces being applied to a joint that's really only designed for horizontal forces. The greater the angle between the mounting points, the worse this gets. Hope that makes sense.

You should be running a trackbar that has eye bushings at both ends, and uses a different mounting bracket.

Here is an example using a pic of my setup. I built my own using the stock mount, and added a frame brace, but many of this style are available from reputable companies.
DSCF2194.jpg

Please ignore the stupid torx bolt, it was used for setup purposes. Also, my steering angles are off a hair in this pic because I built the mount to use with a drop pitman arm that I hadn't installed yet.

Back