• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WILL I NEED CONTROL ARMS (Searched)

macs97XJ

NAXJA Member #1247
Ok, I have sifted thru 33 pages worth of search and came up with a few other's replies on "When you need Control Arms". :twak:

I am currently running a RC 3" lift coils with full leaf packs on my 97 which is still in decent shape and on STOCK control arms. Next month I will be having my t-case reworked to include a SYE install.

(1) Correct me if I am wrong: My stock control arms are good up to 3"'s correct?

IF SO

(2) Going to 4", will I need to replace both bottom control arms and the top control arm?

IF SO, then

Which company just sells control arms by themselves? I have only seen kits which include the Arms, but nothing selling JUST the control arms.:helpme:

Since my lift is still decent, I would save a few bucks and do spacers and shackles.
:dunno:

Thanks

Mac

for short arms, IMO, JKS makes the best adjustable arms. 3" is borderline, your caster/pinion angle might be a little off....but going any higher, I'd at a MINIMUM get adjustable lower arms.

I put adjustable lowers on my RC 3" lift after I beat the snot out of my stock LCAs. I got the Rough Country adjustable LCAs, they work well and they were cheap. Certainly the JKS would be nicer, but I've had no complaints with the RCs and they aren't noisy like everyone seems to say, as long as you keep them greased.

The charts I've seen seem to indicate that any more than 3" and you will definitely need longer LCAs, but the UCAs are fine until 5" or so.

Check out Yucca-Man's chart at the bottom of this page:
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

Thanks for the info.

I will be picking up only the control arms I will be needing, the lower fixed control arms from RC. I contacted them and they do sell them as a pair.

I will be going with the fixed vice adjustable soley due to only going to a 4"er.

Thanks
mac

That doesnt really makes sense....you should want adjustable ones since you are going all the way up to 4"....

If you dont want adjustable ones for 4", what height were you told that you'd need adjustable???

nah, control arms are optional, just run two, one upper and one lower on different sides of the axle and you should be fine

seriously

I mean really, it works that way

I ran at 4.5" of lift on stock control arms for a long time. I could easily get the castor/alignment where it needed to be without any issues (all XJ's are different, but worked fine for me). I did replace them with Adjustable LCA and UCA's only due to strength, not because of length. There is NO noticeable differnce in ride on the road with the longer control arms, however, I am back at the right wheelbase.

In my opinion the only issue with stock control arms at up to 4.5" of lift is strength. After 4.5" of lift you do need the longer length to get the castor back where it needs to be.

Michael

The RC Control arms are the ones they sell in the 4" lift kit package, which I am guessing should be extended already to offset the lift?

Anything over 3" should have longer CA'S?
mac

do your self the biggest favor of you life and just buy the RC 4.5 lift... I bought the 3 inch kit and now im running into the problem of lower control arms, sway bar links, and pitmint arm. The 4.5 kit comes with all that.. and my give rustysoffroad.com a look.. they look like they have a decent 4.5 kit and for a decent price.

run the stock ones till you go to 4.5" plus. Then take the money you saved and invest in a long arm setup like rock-krawler or something.

Back