• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Galley Plug (RMS diagnosis)

Meatroach

NAXJA Forum User
Hola!

I changed my RMS twice and my oil pan seal 3 times. I still have a leak. While at the shop to get my broken shock mount welded back on, the mechanic said that it could be oil plugs at th eback of the engine. I asked why they were there and he said it's the only way the blocks can be poured. It's been puzzling me since I'm having oil come out of my starter.(there's a small hole in the bottom of the starter and it runs along the housing to the inspection plate.)

anyone have any thoughts on this?

If this is the situation do I need to pull the engine to fix it?

Is there a way to check the oil galley plug before pulling the engine?(where is it?)

Its the 4.0L H/O with 376'000+ km's.(295'775+ miles)

****VALVE COVER GASKET DONE

****OIL FILTER ADAPTER O-RINGS DONE

also, can you remove the inspectiono plate/dust plae on the bellhousing while the transmission is still in the heep?

thanks, i'm getting tired of my XJ marking it's territory everywhere it goes!

you can remove the inspection plate......
Do you have an auto trans or 5speed?If you have a 5speed it's possible that the tranny is leaking.....gear lube looks alot like motor oil.Really dirty auto trans fluid looks like motor oil also.

If it is an oil plug leak you could pull the tranny and fix the leak with the motor in the jeep....I thought there were only freeze plugs back there....

You will need to get the bell housing off to get that galley plug. Looks like a small freeze plug, you dont' hear of them leaking too often.

outlander said:
you can remove the inspection plate......
Do you have an auto trans or 5speed?If you have a 5speed it's possible that the tranny is leaking.....gear lube looks alot like motor oil.Really dirty auto trans fluid looks like motor oil also.

If it is an oil plug leak you could pull the tranny and fix the leak with the motor in the jeep....I thought there were only freeze plugs back there....

It's a 5 speed, i'll double check the oil that's dripping....

...The oil seems to be motor oil. I can't tell for certain though about it not being gear oil. Gear oil usually has a strong smell doesn't it?

On a side note, my transmission is making a very slight clacking noise at take off, or low rpm.(1000 - 1500rpm) i have no slippage or anything but i guess this could be related to that?!?.

The oil galley plug is more usually a largish (1/2"NPT or so) pipe plug - but it is on the backside of the engine, and is a pain to replace.

The oil galley plugs are there so they can drill the longwise galleys that feed the main bearings and the lifters. The block "can't be poured" without the "core plugs" (or "welch plugs" or "freeze plugs") on the side of the block, since that's how the sand "cores" are shaken out of the finished casting.

That may also be a thing of the past - the third gen Hemi is cast without core plug holes. I'm not sure how they do it, but they do it...

Back