• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15x7 or 15x8

96MDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting a new set of tires and im going with a 235/75/r15. I figured as long as im getting tires i might as well get a set of black steelies. Would I be better off with a 15x7 or a 15x8. This is on a stock 96.

Go with the 15x8's...you will thank yourself later (instead of kicking yourself like I am) when you want a lift and bigger tires. Just keep in mind if you go with the 15x8's that they will stick out further than stock wheels, especially with the difference in backspacing on after market wheels.

Enjoy!!!

96MDXJ said:
Im getting a new set of tires and im going with a 235/75/r15. I figured as long as im getting tires i might as well get a set of black steelies. Would I be better off with a 15x7 or a 15x8. This is on a stock 96.
If you are staying with 235s or have no plans to go with a tire wider than 10.50", you should get 7" rims. 8" rims are a little wide for 235s. 8 is perfect for 10.50 tires but 7 would work fine.

15x7 is the right rim for 235/75R15s. The advice to consider wider rims if there's a probability you'll go up in tire size later is wise. BUT ...

Also consider that buying aftermarket rims may not be a wise decision at all. If you're buying 235 tires, I'll assume that you probably have a stock XJ or maybe a budget boost, with fenders and flares intact. The stock, OEM rims are 15x7 with a 5-1/4" backspacing. There are NO aftermarket rims available, 15x7 or 15x8, that have that backspacing. Therefore, ANY aftermarket rims you get will result in the tires sticking farther out of the flares, and 15x8s will be even worse than 15x7s. It may or may not be enough to get you a ticket, depending on the rules where you live and how strictly they are enforced, but it will almost certainly guarantee that your tires will hit the flares when turning.

With 235s, I'd recommend staying on OEM rims, and wait to buy aftermarket wheels until you move up to larger tires that require a bigger wheel and less backspacing.

Back