• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ - Negative Camber

axshon

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a little vibe between 55 and 60 and I'm going to have the wheels balanced but in looking at things I noticed something a bit disburbing, or at least it seems so to me.

When looking directly down either side of the Jeep, the front wheels appear to have about a degree or two of negative camber. To be clear, I'm eye-level with the top of the front tire and standing in front, looking from the front tire to the back. Viewed this way, the top of the tire is definitely in and the bottom tire out when compared to the back.

It's exactly the same amount on both sides (in at the top and out at the bottom) and the front suspension has not been modified at all so either it came this way from the factory, wore the same on both sides, or someone took a nice even jump at some point. I have 68,500 miles so wear seems to be out... Any insights?

Jim

Camber isn't adjustable (other then installing adjustable ball joints). You have a solid axle.

If the camber is off, chances are you might have a tweaked housing.

x2

you can check for play at 12 and 6 on each wheel - that will tell you if you have a worn ball joint....

Also check the unibearings, if they have play in them they will cause the tires to sit that way and can definately cause a vibration or two.

But they are not cheap so be prepared for it if you have to get them.

While 12/6 play in the tires definatey could be ball joints I would guess its the unibearings. Its 8 years old and depending on how you wheel it, its about time to look into them.

Well, currently I don't go off road at all. Got a buddy in WV that I'm looking forward to hooking up with soon but nothing yet. The previous owner did the drive back and forth between DC and NYC so those were highway miles. Prior to that it was a fleet delivery vehicle in NYC so potholes is about the extent of that. Are the unibearings the same as the wheel bearings? What's the factory camber spec? I'm assuming that since everyone is responding, what I'm seeing is not optimal.

Out of spec toe-in can give the appearance of a lot of camber, either positive or negative. I've seen -.7 degrees camber many times from tweaked housings, and while far from ideal it won't hurt much if you keep the tires rotated more frequently.

axshon said:
Well, currently I don't go off road at all. Got a buddy in WV that I'm looking forward to hooking up with soon but nothing yet. The previous owner did the drive back and forth between DC and NYC so those were highway miles. Prior to that it was a fleet delivery vehicle in NYC so potholes is about the extent of that. Are the unibearings the same as the wheel bearings? What's the factory camber spec? I'm assuming that since everyone is responding, what I'm seeing is not optimal.

Unibearings are the wheel bearings. They are held onto the knuckle by three bolts that you get to from the back of the knuckle. They are just what they sound like, a sealed bearing unit all packed together and in must be replaced as a unit.

Take it to an alignment shop and see what they tell you. Are you getting any abnormal tire wear?

No cupping, feathering or uneven wear on the tires yet. It's tough to find an alignment shop around here that doesn't have a bunch of 'parts changers'. That will happen after I put it up and check for play in the knuckles. Thanks for the help everyone. Jim

JJacobs said:
Out of spec toe-in can give the appearance of a lot of camber, either positive or negative.
Same with castor,just have it checked!

Back