• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear with 32s?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
Simple question but should I regear a DD XJ that mostly sees street with 3.55s and 32" tires? Will I see any major changes with 32s over stock tires or will it just be a tad slower? Thanks.

my 98 sucks gas with 32s and 3.55, going to 4.56 soon, but i also plan on 33s maybe 35s tho, i hope that 4.56 will increase my mpg

Yes you should, especially if you carry any weight. I was amazed at the difference just between 31s and 32s. If I put stockers back on this thing would feel like a rocket. Not to mention the gas mileage...

I guess I'll just have to see when I get to that point. I have some good stock tires on there right now, I figure I should just ride those until they need replacing. Only problem from there is if I want to always ride 32s or just for the trails, right now if I had 32s they would only see the trails.

I went up to BFG 31s (not 31") and you could certainly notice a difference, but it wasnt unlivable. Then upped to 32s (real 32") and it was not a good setup. Ran it that way for 9 months or so, it goes, but wont hold 75 with any wind or uphill (and I mean just a little). Passing is a real plan-ahead event and highway slowdowns take forever to get back to speed without downhill. Try it for a while, it will work, just not well.

Geared to 4.11s and it fun to drive again. Most folks will push 4.5x but I think thats still overgeared vs stock. I am in the process of deciding whether to keep 4.11 or move up to 4.5x. I am leaning to keeping the 4.11. I'll get my off-road gearing from the T/C thank you.

Shogun said:
I went up to BFG 31s (not 31") and you could certainly notice a difference, but it wasnt unlivable. Then upped to 32s (real 32") and it was not a good setup. Ran it that way for 9 months or so, it goes, but wont hold 75 with any wind or uphill (and I mean just a little). Passing is a real plan-ahead event and highway slowdowns take forever to get back to speed without downhill. Try it for a while, it will work, just not well.

Geared to 4.11s and it fun to drive again. Most folks will push 4.5x but I think thats still overgeared vs stock. I am in the process of deciding whether to keep 4.11 or move up to 4.5x. I am leaning to keeping the 4.11. I'll get my off-road gearing from the T/C thank you.
Agreed. I went from 32" BFG MTs (not 32s at all) to Bighorn 32 (almost 32" exactly) and I can definitely see a difference. Just for reference, I parked next to a full size on 35" BFG MTs and my 32s were about an inch or less shorter. Yeah.
chzbrgr said:
With an A/T overdrive becomes useless with 3.55's.
Yep. I use OD on the highway at 70mph and spin around 2200ish which is fine for the most part, but my mileage still sucks. Seems like no matter what I do, I get about 15mpg average (city and highway).

I ran 32s on 355 gears for over a year. I didnt have any problems around town ,big difference though when you get on the interstates and going up hills.

I'm on 30s with stock 3.55s and if I were to stay with 30s, I'd probably want to regear to at least 3.73s...But I'm going up to 33s soon, maybe 35s later, so 4.56s are goin in at some point.

I have 32" bfg muds and 3.55's. Not great but you can get by around town. Any wind or a full load on the freeway and I am lucky to be going 65. My buddies stock XJ seems like a racecar compared to mine! As for MPG, I didn't notice a major decrease when I went from 31 ats to 32 muds.

Right now my tires are 235s and it seems fine. I was thinking 4.10s would be perfect for 32s, I don't expect to go much higher as far as tires.

I run the a 32"ish tire with 4.56 gears and love the diffrence. I am back at 20ish MPG... I drive like a granny! so I get better mileage than a guy who likes the skinny pedal.
I went from 3.55 to 4.56 and the change was super dramatic.

enjoy

I did 32's with 4.56 gears for about two years. I regularly got better than 20 mpg on the highway and could comfortably do 75 mph.

Now I have 4.88's and 35's, and really wish I were running 5.13's.

mk153smaw said:
I run the a 32"ish tire with 4.56 gears and love the diffrence. I am back at 20ish MPG... I drive like a granny! so I get better mileage than a guy who likes the skinny pedal.
I went from 3.55 to 4.56 and the change was super dramatic.

That's what I like to hear. I'm getting ready to swap in 4.56 axles right now. Currenty running BFG 32's with 3.55 gears and a AX-15. Looking forward to the change.

ratherbcamping said:
That's what I like to hear. I'm getting ready to swap in 4.56 axles right now. Currenty running BFG 32's with 3.55 gears and a AX-15. Looking forward to the change.
Im running 4.10's with 32's on 97' with an AX-15 and I think its about perfect. But I started of with 3.07's and ran 30's for a year. Man I much happier with this set up. 4.56's might be too low for DD just my .02

Back