• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing auto transmission??????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
So my auto transmission went today in my 89 4l 4x4, I am planning on taking the tranny out of a 90 cherokee and putting it in my jeep im wondering how difficult it is to replace the transmission? what exactly do i need to do to get the transmission off of my parts jeep??? i did a search but couldnt find anything..

thanks

get a tranny jack, a good manual, an e-12 socket, extensions, and a wobble joint

a 90 should be a direct swap. disconnect everything holding trans/transfercase in, remove tranny/transfercase, bolt new tranny to old transfercase, instakll trans/trnasfercase, reattach.

sorry for being vague, but it should be a direct swap.

blazinjames said:
so i remove the tranny and transfercase, do i need the transmission jack?

do i do everything from under the vehical?

a tranny jack is not 100 percent needed, but how are you going to support the weight of the trans/transfercase and slide it back from the engine without a trans jack.

as for from below, most everything gets done from below except removing the shifter knob and maybe some wiring. try not to hit yourself in the head when removing the shifter knob.

when i removed the trans in my 89, it took longer to remove everything else that was connected to the trans/transfercase(driveshafts, wiring harnesses, trnasfercase linkage...) than it did do remove the trans/transfercase.

blazinjames said:
ya i had a problem with the shifter nob a while ago when i fixed the shifter cable..

can i just use a normal jack to support the tranny/transfercase?

well if its anything like my manual trans, you need to slide the trans/transfercase away from the engine. in your case, i think the trans needs to slide away from the torque convertor.

its jsut easier to use a trans jack. i didnt and it was a bitch sliding the jack away from the engine although it had wheels.

blazinjames said:
can i just use a normal jack to support the tranny/transfercase?
Put a teaspoon in your hand and have a friend lay a watermellon on the tea spoon. Do you think it's going to stay there?

You've got about 300 lbs of weight that you have no idea where the center of gravity is and you're trying to balance it on a 3" center. That's without even trying to move it.

Borrow a trans jack or modify you're current one with a large plate that isn't going to collapse and strap it down tight. Either that of have a couple of buds help balance the trans while it's lowered and moved.

Back